1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Red skin tones with EM-1 Raw files

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by TomServo, Apr 5, 2016.

1. TomServo

TomServo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson
    All, has anyone run into the issue of oversaturated reds in skin tones on the EM-1? I do a lot of headshots and I have noticed I really have to "pull back" on the reds quite a bit. Keep in mind that these are just the raw files too, not just jpegs or preview jpegs in the raw file. I thought maybe it was just Adobe Camera Raw but I viewed "fresh" files orf files off the card directly in FastRawViewer and can plainly see how the reds are too strong and the image overall is oversaturated. Being raw files I expect that changing processing settings in the camera for saturation and such will not have a real affect on the raw output.

I am seeing this on two completely different PC workstations both with calibrated monitors and the results are about the same (as close as two different setups can be). I've created some presets to deal with this but was curious if I'm alone in this or if others have similar issues.

Forgive me if this has already been covered but search didn't really turn up anything for me (or I didn't search properly).

2. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I find that the Adobe Standard profile in Lightroom tends to over-saturate reds and oranges in ORF files, which affects skin tones. You can adjust the saturation in the camera calibration panel and save it as a default for that camera. Or you can pick one of the other camera profile options like Camera Natural and save that as the default.

3. TomServo

TomServo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson
    OK, I was hoping to hear that it wasn't just me :)

4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Situations like these are why we have LR presets that you can invoke during import. Naturally all the changes are non-destructive and sit in the corresponding XML sidecar file.