Red GF too noticeable?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ksn, Mar 24, 2011.

1. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I'm having the most petty debate with myself here.

I have a white and a red GF2 in front of me and I can't decide which one to keep :rolleyes:

I think I would prefer the red, but it seems a bit flashy and noticeable. Anyone here with a red GF1/2 that could provide some input?

• Like Like x 1
  2. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    wearing red is sexy

[​IMG]

... and I recommend to gift a pair of cute red shoes for your wife - fitting to the red of the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    White!

4. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    I've got a red GF1 and don't find the rather subdued metallic colour in the least bit flashy. Mind you, most of my house is covered by a red carpet so perhaps I'm biased. The camera is too small to be particularly noticeable to anyone else. If it had a red lens in front of it, the position might be different. I don't think I could ever purchase a white camera though, but colour is very personal. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks - go with the way that you feel.

5. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Either one is better than black, IMO. M4/3 is supposed to be fun, am I wrong? Go with the one YOU like most.

6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I think you need a blue one. ;)

7. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    I think the GF2 red is quite different from the GF1, I have the GF1 in red and find it very subdued (wine red) rather than the much brighter/bolder red on the GF2.
    Black is boring, silver is boring, White (somewhat objective!!).
    Blue in the same subdued effect as the GF1 would look nice too.

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have a red gf1 exactly like the one pictured above and I don't find it flashy at all. I didn't want red but it was significantly cheaper than black when I got it and I haven't mided it in the least. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it, so I guess its not TOO noticeable. If the red is similar, I'd say its less flashy than white. If its a really bright red, I don't know. Its all just personal taste anyway - what do YOU like?

-Ray

9. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    It's the same as this short story from Edgar Allan Poe, "the letter" : sometimes, things are best concealed in plain sight. Ditto for a red ยต4:3 - most everybody should think it's an over-sized P&S at first glance and shouldn't give it another thought. Best concealment for a much better camera.

Cheers,

10. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    White GF2, Red GF1 here. Colors, Colours are fun!

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have a E-P1/E-PL1, but I am sufficiently familiar with red and white to offer advice :tongue: Go with the red. You like it, and it actually makes your camera less noticeable. Folks, especially official folks, get nervous with big black cameras, but a little red one? How serious can that be?

12. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Partial to blue myself. These things are supposed to be fun. I'm so tired of black cameras...professional my ***...live it up, you only get one go at it.

Kevin

13. taphapy

taphapy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    I have the red one and got it so people would think it's a p&s. And I've never had a red camera before. It's beautiful.

14. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Go with the red, there is no space for error, red rocks!!!

15. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I envy your red GF2. I've been considering picking one up myself to have a second mu-43 body, but I'm torn between that and a red GF1. Or another pink GF1. :)

16. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Just buy another prime lens and keep both, of course.

Gordon

17. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    London
    I agree, and so is photography (of course). I used to visit a UK Pentax forum where there was much sarcasm when the K-x was produced in various colours. It was as if a camera had to be black for the photographer to be taken seriously. What miseries!

(Blue G1, red GF1, partner soon to buy red G2!)

18. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

Actually a white camera would have the lowest noise because the white body reflects a lot more heat from the internal electronics on a hot day, as opposed to a black camera. (If I remember my university engineering correctly, a bare aluminum heat sink, when painted black, absorbs twice as much heat than an unpainted one (black body radiation theory)).

But I like red myself : )

19. dhype55

dhype55 New to Mu-43

Feb 22, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    I would love to get a white gf1. (sell me yours)

The pink one, not so much.

20. abl33

abl33 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    I honestly do NOT need it, but I am so sorely tempted by the red EPL-2, so my vote is for red. If I get it, it's your fault ;-)
    And I was truly sad that that pink GF-1 was not sold in the U.S.