Red "circular" dot in my videos made with the GX85

frangojones

Mu-43 Rookie
Hello everyone, good morning! I recently found a red circular dot in my videos made with the GX85 .. I've done sensor cleaning and pixel refresh both from the camera menu and couldn't solve it. I tried to clean with that air pump and nothing too. I updated the firmware and nothing. What can this be ? Doesn't look like a hot pixel ... Would it be a dust spot that isn't coming out? Follows the attached image. If anyone can give an opinion I appreciate it.

Attachments

If you can't see the spec of dust on the sensor then it's probably something wrong with it. Try a reset and if that doesn't do anything I would either take it back to where you bought it for an exchange or if out of return period, contact Panasonic for repair.

Hopefully you get it sorted out.

frangojones

Mu-43 Rookie
If you can't see the spec of dust on the sensor then it's probably something wrong with it. Try a reset and if that doesn't do anything I would either take it back to where you bought it for an exchange or if out of return period, contact Panasonic for repair.

Hopefully you get it sorted out.

Hello Tool .. Unfortunately I live in Brazil and the camera was purchased from B&H, unable to ship there ... Here in Brazil Panasonic support is practically zero. I don't know how I'm going to do it ... It came out of nowhere ... the camera didn't fall or anything.

Thanks

frangojones

Mu-43 Rookie
Have you tried another lens?
It isn't circular, so it has to be some kind of debrise, on the lens or the sensor.
The circular I meant is that it surrounds an area. If you notice, inside this "circle" there is the background image. Looking at the sensor I can not see anything ... If it was a dust I believe it would not turn red and always look the same with the movement of the sensor (IBIS).

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
So you might have some "dead pixels" I don't have any experience with that.
I think there is a function in the camera to remap dead pixels, but hopefully someone else knows more about this.

frangojones

Mu-43 Rookie
I think there is a function in the camera to remap dead pixels, but hopefully someone else knows more about this.

What I found strange is the arrangement of this .. Because the pixels are theoretically "round" and are "marked" points. I already used the Pixel Refresh and Sensor cleaning, both from the menu .. but without success.
Now I restarted it to factory defaults and nothing too. :(

frangojones

Mu-43 Rookie
In the case of photographs, OK, it is quite easy to remove this ... now with videos, is much more complex and requires more hardware at the time of rendering and this is annoying because I use the camera mainly for video.

frangojones

Mu-43 Rookie
Maybe you should try to physically clean the sensor? You know with swabs and all?
I went to research some brushes that use to clean the sensor, but I believe I don't have the courage to do that ... If that is it .... I am finding this "stain" in the image of my videos very strange ... if it is a mess I will find it very strange not to have left with the air pump.

I went to research some brushes that use to clean the sensor, but I believe I don't have the courage to do that ... If that is it .... I am finding this "stain" in the image of my videos very strange ... if it is a mess I will find it very strange not to have left with the air pump.
I use a lenspen when I a blower doesn't work. They have one specifically for cleaning sensors. It's the same as their regular lenspens but is long, thin, has a very small cleaning tip and with a pivot point for better visibility but I use a lenspen micro since it has a small tip and it works wonders. Just make sure to use a blower afterwards.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing

Dead pixels are black or lack color/details, hot or stuck pixels are bright and are typically red/blue/etc.

The pixel remapping function in many cameras can detect, and save in memory where they are detected so that they are mapped out of the final footage (basically saying don't use data from that pixel, and use neighbors to compensate).

A bright red dot isn't going to be something sitting on the sensor usually but rather a hot pixel in the sensor. (something on the sensor is almost always going to be a dark spot, and usually won't be so clearly defined even at tighter apertures).

If a pixel refresh isn't doing anything, verify that this dot is present in the video itself and not just on the screen of the camera. If it's only present on the LCD screen of the camera, then the hot pixel may be in the LCD display and not on the sensor.

If it is on the sensor, then what I suspect is that specific pixel has already been mapped out, but it was bright enough that it caused a haze or sort to it's neighboring photosites. Similar to how it may show as a magenta/purple fringe depending on how strong it is. The haze won't be mapped out, and unlike raw photos, it's not a simple matter of just turning on chromatic aberration removal. But that may explain why it's "circular" in nature, because it's surrounding the area that was a hot pixel, now mapped out.

Depending on your video editor, if it's always in a static location of the frame you can use quantifiers to select and mask it out.

frangojones

Mu-43 Rookie
I use a lenspen when I a blower doesn't work. They have one specifically for cleaning sensors. It's the same as their regular lenspens but is long, thin, has a very small cleaning tip and with a pivot point for better visibility but I use a lenspen micro since it has a small tip and it works wonders. Just make sure to use a blower afterwards.

I have already seen this pen should work too, but the point here is that I believe it is not dust. I have at least never seen dust generate this red "artifact" in the image. Looking at those swabs on BH Photo I didn't find for crop sensor 2x. Any suggestion ?

frangojones

Mu-43 Rookie
Dead pixels are black or lack color/details, hot or stuck pixels are bright and are typically red/blue/etc.
Exactly that ... I believe I have commented on previous posts. I can make a mask and hide it but this in the whole video gives me a lot more time in rendering and in every video I edit I have to do the same thing. I really believe that the sensor has been irretrievably defective to the point of having to change it and it will be too expensive ... Better sell the camera for a lower price and get a new one since I don't live in the US and the equipment warranty already gone. About seeing the "defect" in the video, yes, I see in the recorded video is not just on the LCD.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
Exactly that ... I believe I have commented on previous posts. I can make a mask and hide it but this in the whole video gives me a lot more time in rendering and in every video I edit I have to do the same thing. I really believe that the sensor has been irretrievably defective to the point of having to change it and it will be too expensive ... Better sell the camera for a lower price and get a new one since I don't live in the US and the equipment warranty already gone. About seeing the "defect" in the video, yes, I see in the recorded video is not just on the LCD.
In a nutshell I have a mapped hot pixel that the area of effect isn't completely mapped out (ie: the halo).

frangojones

Mu-43 Rookie
Have you tried a different SD card (long shot but who knows for sure)?
I will try but I believe it is not .. If it will be I will be impressed in 14 years of photography happen something like this and by mistake on the card always mark the image at the same point ...

I have already seen this pen should work too, but the point here is that I believe it is not dust. I have at least never seen dust generate this red "artifact" in the image. Looking at those swabs on BH Photo I didn't find for crop sensor 2x. Any suggestion ?
The fact that you're asking for swabs indicates you are looking to clean your sensor, that's what I was trying to say as the lenspen can clean. Not just dust only but everything including oils and debris.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom