1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Recovering Images from Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by cvwood, Aug 23, 2011.

1. cvwood

cvwood Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    A while back, a cat knocked an external hard drive off our desk. Of course, this HD happened to be the one with all of my image files on it. Needless to say, the hard drive is cooked.

Lightroom still shows the images, but of course says that the image file is unavailable. Is there anyway to recover even those low-res previews of my pictures from Lightroom?

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    When you say the drive is 'cooked', what does that mean? Won't power up? No sound of spinning platter?

If only the root directory of the drive was affected, you can use software to retrieve files. If this is not possible there are services that can retrieve the platter and extract files - this is expensive, but may be worth it if your photos warrant it.

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
  4. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    I have a similar issue.. some of my files were rearranged and now when I go to lightroom the files show up but are not accessible "offline or missing". Does anyone know how to locate these files?

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    You have to tell Lightroom where the original files currently are. I think if you click on the little question mark it will ask you to locate the file. Navigate to the original image location. If there are other files in the same folder/directory structure, Lightroom will find those too.

6. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Try right-clicking on your top level folder (e.g. My Pictures, if all your photos are inside there) and then selecting 'Sychronize Folder' from the menu.....

7. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Just replace them with the files on your back-up drive!

P.S. If you don't have a back-up drive it would be a good idea to get one as insurance against future cat mishaps. I think I would keel over if lost all my image files, so I have multiple drives that I keep on-site and at work.

8. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011

Tried this and for some reason it did not work.

9. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    I did this and lightroom syncronized the entire existing folder about 2k files :redface:. Im going to try again. Thank you.