1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Recover original 4:3 frame in Aperture

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by CCRoo, Aug 22, 2014.

1. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere. Creating good search terms is an art that eludes me.

How do I use Aperture to recover the full 4:3 sensor image for a photograph I took with the aspect ratio set at 3:2?

Thanks!

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I think if you shot JPEG only then you are out of luck... let me go a do a quick test

K

3. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Did you shoot in RAW mode or RAW+JPEG or just JPEG only?
    If JPEG only I suspect you're SOL regardless of which program you're using.

4. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hmm

just did a quick test... I thought RAW allowed you to get back the full frame but apparently not

K

5. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Very interesting. Just tried it here too.

In Lightroom I was able to "Reset" the crop and get to the original 4:3 in the RAW file. Lightroom displayed that the RAW had been cropped and showed the crop on-screen when in the Develop module. I was able to reset/remove the crop. (LR5.6 on Mavericks, E-M10).

I generally never shoot cropped since I hate throwing away image data, but it now appears I can do so while shooting R+J and have the ability to get jpg out of camera and still go back to an uncropped "digital negative" if needed.

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

ORF files should have the original data. Depending on your raw converter though, you may have to modify the EXIF data using something like EXIF Tools to reset the crop information before it will restore the original 4:3 data in the converter.

7. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    In Aperture, try copying and pasting metadata from a 4:3 image onto the 3:2 image... That may bring back the original frame.

8. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    I'm working with RAW files. Nice to know there is a clean solution for this in Lightroom. Is there really none in Aperture?

9. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    It is odd as I am sure Aperture used to allow you to see the whole RAW... maybe something changed either in Aperture or how Oly write the RAW...

K

10. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I also think it's odd. I'm 99% sure one can see whole RAW in Aperture. Not able to verify right now but I'll also look this when back home tomorrow.

11. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Have you tried re-doing the preview? the preview you're working from may be locked into the other format...

I can't duplicate the problem.

12. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I have to admit that I remembered wrong or something changed as Kevin also already said. I was pretty sure that Aperture could convert 3:2 or other cropped images to original full image RAW (Olympus RAW) (without hacking files with EXIF tools) But apparently this is NOT the case according to my short study and tests. Well, Olympus Viewer 3 could easily do that, so there is a workaround, even without Lightroom.

But now I regret even less my painful change over to Lightroom :)

13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    RawTherapee has no trouble with in-camera digital zoom, etc.
    Maybe darktable (Mac, Linux) would work too.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43