Recording length

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by rt2photo, Feb 20, 2016.

1. rt2photo

rt2photo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2014
    I'm shooting a series of interviews solo - and using my EM-1 as a main camera, with a simple GoPro as a second angle.

I've found the hard way that at 29mins, the EM-1 just ... stops.

Is there a camera compatible with my existing lenses that can record for an hour or more, and isn't crazy expensive? (this would be it's only purpose) - or a way I can make the EM-1 record longer?

Seems that total recording time capacity is a little discussed topic, so it's tough to find details on.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  2. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
  3. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    IIRC the 30 minute limit is for Europe, where the camera is taxed higher if it is a "high end video camera". Certainly that is the case with the GH4 - the non-EU version has no recording limit.

The other factor is there is a file size limit of 4Gb on SD cards formated using the FAT32 file system, which will limit the recording time depending on the video format. To overcome this limit the camera either needs to automatically create a new file and carry on, or use the exFAT file format which can have bigger files. FWIW, I believe Panasonic chose to go with multiple files on the GH4, despite the fact it supports exFAT. I guess that makes sense as then it still works the same way regardless of which type of card you use.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Simon
    Just to add to the confusion :), some/most Panasonic cameras have a limit depending on the format, e.g. in my GX7 I'm pretty sure MP4 is limited to one file which is a max of 30 minutes, whereas AVCHD will keep recording until either the card is full or battery flat.

So a Panasonic body, particularly if you can work with AVCHD.

5. rt2photo

rt2photo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2014
    I've been considering picking up an inexpensive HD video camera - there's some cheap off brand models on ebay, and again, this is it's only purpose - I won't be using the audio - just a second angle.

Anyone got experience wth those?

Frustratingly, the GoPro nails it - records until battery is dead, multiple files along the way - it's just not *that* flexible with it's lens options of course.

6. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
  7. rt2photo

rt2photo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2014
    The $1k+ price tag is out of my reach for this project, sadly.

8. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Simon
    If you use AVCHD format, than something like a Panasonic G5 would do it, and isn't too ancient.