Reconditioned Lenses and Warranty?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jcm5, Mar 30, 2015.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    Anyone ever feel the need to buy the extended warranty after buying from Olympus their reconditioned lenses? I see that their warranties for these lenses last only 90 days and looks like they sell extended warranties for $80. Thoughts?
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I've not felt the need, but you should definitely do what makes sense for you. If an extra $80 gives you piece of mind and still gives you a price under new, then it could be a prudent move.
  3. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    Hey thanks. I've never felt the need to buy it though I've also never bought the Olympus reconditioned lenses before either. But from what I'm reading online, it seems like they work just as well as normal lenses.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    I've never bought an extended warranty on anything. Lenses come like new. If I was going to pay for the warranty I'd just get a new one.
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The warranty on the new Olympus lenses (1 year) is a lot shorter than the reconditioned Olympus lenses with the extended warranty (4 years, 3 months). If you really do want a long warranty, a refurbished lens + extended warranty is usually the less expensive option.
  6. PSYL

PSYL New to Mu-43

May 2, 2015
    May I ask if the extended warranty number is delivered via e-mail or mailed letter? I would like to purchase the warranty (for my refurbished E-M1) before I go on a trip but not sure if I should put down my home or travel address for shipping. Thanks.
  7. Redwing

Redwing Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 2, 2015
    I can say any refurb Olympus lens I've ever purchased looked/functioned exactly as brand new. But I purchased them assuming that the previous owner of the lens either a) did not like it and returned it, or b) had an issue with it and sent it back. I did purchase the warranty in the case of my 12-40F2.8, as the warranty was 25% off at the time, and I also purchased it with the 35-100F2.0, as this is an expensive lens and I had no way of knowing how old the lens was or what the issue was with it (again, during a 20% off promotion for the lens and warranty). This lens series was first offered for sale around 2005, and while I know the lens is less than a year old, it's a big, heavy piece of equipment, and for ~$60, the warranty seemed like a bargain. I guess it's like opinions of protective filters, everyone has a different take on it, and no one is necessarily right or wrong.

I received hard copies of my warranties from Olympus, sent separately from the lenses themselves in both instances.

I did have an issue with a refurb E-M1 that I purchased, with constant hot spotting, and I sent it back and bought a new one instead. Enjoy the E-M1, its a great camera, and you'll spend a lot of time dialing it in, so get out shooting right away, so you have a feel for it before you leave on your trip.
  8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    My warranties were delivered by mail. Olympus america sends a little grey fold-up cardboard envelope with the warranty number, and you then enter that number when you register the lens on their website. They usually also send you a 5% off coupon for your next purchase that is good for a month or two.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My philosophy is that I never buy extended warranties on anything. I figure all the money I save not buying warranties on everything will easy cover the rare repair or replacement I have to pay for myself. Imagine if you had a 5 lens kit and you paid an $80 warranty on each. That's $400! You could replace or repair anything for that money. I extend that philosophy to buying used. I've save so much by buying used, I'm still coming out ahead if one breaks on me.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    I can see it being a factor for camera bodies and flashes, but my understanding of it (perhaps incorrectly) is that there isn't actually that much that can go wrong with a lens that a) isn't obvious immediately, and b) that wouldn't be the result of you voiding the warranty on it anyway?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Generally my view and what consumer reports recommends. Assume you buy 3 lenses and warranties on all 3. One lens fails and requires service. Service these days is often fixed price, so look up what it would cost to send the lens in and get it fixed at somewhere like Precision. I just had to have work done on my E-M5 and it $165. So if you save $50 on one repair, you've more than spent that on the warranties for the 3 lenses. Someone is making lots of money on warranties because they are really pushed. Of course, if it's something you really can't afford to fix, then having a warranty might be worth the piece of mind. And for breakage/theft, you'd probably be better off checking with insurance companies. If the lens functions through the short term warranty it would seem to have a pretty chance of continuing to function normally. With a refurb lens, I'd be more concerned about really putting it through it's paces during the return period. Of course, with lenses, that's good practice with new lenses.
  12. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Can't say for reconditioned lens, but I have bought reconditioned bodies and never had an issue with the 90 day warranty. I just make sure I use the products enough during that time to make sure there is no issues. So far, so good! :)
  13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Profit on extended warranties is very high, typically over 50%. There was one year a while back where 100% of Best Buy's annual profit was attributed to selling extended warranties. (Did you ever wonder why they are aggressive? The profit on the relatively-small warranty charge may well be higher than their profit on your purchase.)

Remember, too, that the warranty really doesn't start until the base warranty expires, so the warranty period is really a lot less than it appears to be.

Every time you consider the need for an extended warranty on anything, put the warranty fee into a savings account. If something that you have "self insured" needs work, pay for it out of the account. Odds are that the account will have plenty of money in it.

A common philosophy of insurance is to insure against events that, if they occur, would impose a significant financial burden on the insurance buyer. Hard to see that the cost of a camera or a lens repair would fall into that category for most people.

YMMV, of course.