Recommended Video Mode

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Boatman, Aug 25, 2014.

1. I have an opportunity to be the second shooter for a mixed marshal arts event coming up in September. There will be both pro still and video photographers shooting the fights, my job will be to shoot the crowd and get situation shots. I shoot with a GH2 and I am very familiar with the camera for stills shooting. I don't do much video, though I have explored the settings of the camera in video mode. I have software version 1.1 installed - no hacks are installed.

I hope to be able to speak with the videographer before the event and find out what mode he prefers to shoot in, which may determine how I configure my camera. Otherwise, what do others recommend using? In test shots, I think I can see a clear advantage to AVCHD 720P/60 for action - of which there will be plenty. This may be a problem in the arena as it requires a higher shutter speed. I don't know what the lighting is going to look like. 720P also has the advantage that I can shoot stills and video by simply going to the secondary shutter button - no settings in the camera need to be changed. If I go to 1080P, I'll need to switch my mode dial to movie mode. (This is not a big deal, of course, and you can set the camera to go both ways.)

I have also played with the video toning modes. I think the cinema mode (within 720P, not the Cinema 24FPS mode) looks pretty good. I can't see a lot of difference with the other settings like contrast, saturation and noise. I expect that the light coloration is going to be a challenge but I won't know what I can do about it until I see the venue.

What would be your recommendations for shooting this venue?