1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Recommended memory card for the GX7 (Transcend UHS-I cards exhibit weird bugs)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by yehuda, Jun 15, 2014.

1. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    I have 2 32GB Transcend SDHC memory cards.

* See the attached image

The first thing I notices is that formatting the 'red' card (without 300x written on it) in the Panasonic GX7 was VERY slow (roughly 4-5 seconds).
    Formatting the 'blue card' (300x card) was much faster (about 2 seconds).

Both cards format in less than a second in the Panasonic G5 with no discernible difference in speed.

The second thing is that from quite a bit of video I took with the GX7 and the 'blue card' (300x) it gave me twice a message about 'the recording will stop due to slow memory card' or something along those lines.

This happened a few minutes after the camera was turned on, not a hot day, not after shooting continuously etc., the memory card was fairly empty and is always formatted in-camera.
    I have no idea what's wrong here.

So... is there any GX7 user out there who can recommend me a 32 or 64 GB card that works flawlessly with the GX7?

I must admit I had various brands of cameras and memory cards over the years and never had such weird issues.
    While I won't nitpick this, I just want a card that's known to be reliable with the GX7 so I won't lose a special video in the future with that weird recording.

Thanks guys!

memory_cards.

2. redcapestudio

redcapestudio Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Robert
    I use a Transcend 32GB sdhc 600x in my GX7. I haven't had any problems shooting video.

• Like Like x 1
  3. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Is the formatting slightly slow as I described?

Sent from my W200 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. redcapestudio

redcapestudio Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Robert
    I haven't reformatted the card since I purchased it so I can't speak to the speed. I've found that deleting images and video in camera seems fine from a speed stand point.

• Like Like x 1
  5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    When I had that, the card died within a short while. It was not Transcend.

• Like Like x 1
  6. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    I've been shooting digital since 2002 and almost all my cards were Trancend. I also used Lexar and SanDisk .
    I never had a card die on me and the 300x card I have is relatively new (about 6 months). Since both Transcends are giving me weird problems with he GX7 I wonder if I should get an SDXC card (mine are sdhc) or just switch brands. It's not the money as cards are dirt cheap (30 USD can get me a very fast SDXC 64gb card) but more as to see what solves the problem.

Sent from my W200 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    Can you guys tell me what the maximum writing speed of a GX7 to an SD card is? I know I should use at least class 4 or 6 for video but I would like to get the max performance from the camera when shooting raw without paying extra money for an unnecessary fast card... Is it even limited? Would I see a writing speed difference between a Sandisc ultra, extreme, extreme plus or extreme pro cards?

8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

1. I've been using the Kingston cards, in several Panasonic cameras, without any problems.
    2. SD cards actuality have (3) speeds ratings Read, Write, and Copy. I think it's important to find out what speed they are quoting. In one case I found the speed quoted was the "READ" speed which really wasn't relevant when you are shooting. In general, the WRITE speed is usually the slowest of the three.
    3. Another thing I discovered is that while cards may be branded with one brand, what's inside varies. I took two identical (defective) cards apart and discovered that while both contained Samsung memory (many do), both had different (speed rated) memory. Very few manufacturers these days actuality make their own cards.

Since I'm now shooting 4K and 4K Photo mode all my cards are now U3 rated. So far no problems.

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I usually use Sandisk Extreme for my work cameras, but I find the Samsung memory cards to be very good for my personal bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Max video bitrate is 28Mbps, which is about 3MB/s so you'll honestly run into speed issues a lot quicker with stills (which are about 20MB in RAW). THat said, sometimes cheaper or slower cards can have trouble with the sustained writes that video requires. So would get a higher end card anyway.

Memory cards are so cheap there is no point in going with a slow card to save literally a few bucks. I'm using a Lexar Professional 150MB/s, a Sony 90MB/s, and a PNY Elite 90MB/s and they all perform very well with the GX7. I mean you spent several hundred dollars on your cameras and at least that much again on your lenses. You really going to compromise on the memory all for $5-10?

11. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    There was a recent article on one of the photo blogs about the high incidences of fake SD cards on the market these days. I would not be surprised if the one that is flakey is a fake one. Resellers with honest intentions have been duped and don't know they have fakes.

12. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    I just found this article http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/olympus-e-m5-ii/sd-card-comparison/ which says that the average writing speed of a sandisc extreme pro which can easily write at 90MB/s is only up to 40MB/s on an E-M5 II. My point was why to get a card that can write at 90MB/s if a camera can handle only half of that. A card writing up to 40MB/s costs me 10€ while one that is twice fast costs over 30€. And I need two SD cards, which would save me even more money :).

13. tkbslc

Listed speeds are generally for reads, not writes.

14. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    Hmm it says write speed everywhere but I am not sure. The board is not that clear to read overall. But if those are reads, wont writes be even slower?

15. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Many years ago, I used to shoot with whatever card was decently priced. After a couple card failures, I switched over to SanDisk about 10 years ago and have had zero problems since. In any case, SanDisk cards have given me great performance with zero reliability issues. Anyways, these days I use SanDisk Extreme Pro cards exclusively on all of my cameras and would recommend them without hesitation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tkbslc

Not your link, I mean the cards themselves. My 94MB/s Sony writes at about 30-40MB. The 94 is for reads.

17. ripgriffith

ripgriffith Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2015
    Although I don't shoot video, I have consistently used Silicon Power SDHC 32g cards class 10 for the past few years without failure, currently in a GX7. I haven't timed the formatting speed, but it certainly isn't slow enough to call attention to itself. I haven't timed the read/write speed because unless it is uncommonly slow, it doesn't affect how I shoot, so the only useful information I have to offer is that these cards have never failed on me. That said, I don't know if they are available outside of Russia.

18. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    You are begging for serious media problems here. Deleting images consistently merely nulls out the first two characters of the filename and results in leaving a cluttered mess of file "fragments" all over the card. Eventually when this catches up with you the result of that is corrupted files and sometimes a very corrupted media card.

Same with only always doing a "quick" format (Panasonic cameras do not offer a "low level" format option, only a "quick" format), all a quick format does is null out the first two characters of each filename in the File Allocation Table, leaving the files themselves on the media and those may often be overwritten in pieces.

If your camera does not offer a choice of format options you need to occasionally do a "low level" format of the media card in a PC reader slot. If on a MAC do not use the Mac formatting command, download and use SD Formatter (free to use).

I do this about every 5 uses of a card.

19. tkbslc

You are inventing risk here, I'm afraid.

You are correct about deletes not zeroing out the bits, but there is absolutely no benefit to doing so on flash media. Flash media is designed to be fragmented. it is not a spinning medium like a hard drive. It does not try to write sequentially to improve access times. It writes to any available free bit and it can access any bit on the flash at the same speed. Frequent full formats only reduces the life of your card by wasting the finite write cycles.

As for corruption, the FAT32 file system can easily handle frequent deletes and rewrites without formatting. It used to be used on PC's, after all, and nobody recommended formatting your HDD every 5 uses of the computer. Don't you think Panasonic would provide a warning if imminent corruption would occur every few photo sessions unless you took the SD card out and formatted in a computer?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I also use SanDisk Extreme Pro cards exclusively for the same reason, failure of an SD card of another brand. I do wonder if SD cards are better, more reliable, now than they were 5 - 10 years ago.