Recommended lens hoods for Panny 15mm & 42.5mm

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
The OEM lens hood on the Panny Leica 15mm f 1.7 is very loose, I can easily knock it out using my pinky. I don't know if it's the lens hood that has the grooves overused (I bought the lens used) or if it's the lens grooves the problem. Are there any alternative solutions, cheap if possible, as a replacement. I am not bothered by build quality like metal or plastic or rubber, it's just a hood.

Same for the Panny 42.5mm f 1.7, my partner wants to get a used one of CEX for our anniversary, but my expectation is that CEX will skimp on everything possible to squeeze every penny so I don't expect it to come with a lens hood. So I am looking for a lens hood for it as well ... though I do need to get a step-up ring from 37mm to 46mm (DAMN IT PANASONIC AND OLYMPUS, WHY COULDN'T YOU JUST MAKE IT THE UNIVERSAL 46mm) to have filter compatibility with the Panny Leica 15mm f 1.7 (I'm thinking of an ND and CPL filter)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
(DAMN IT PANASONIC AND OLYMPUS, WHY COULDN'T YOU JUST MAKE IT THE UNIVERSAL 46mm) to have filter compatibility with the Panny Leica 15mm f 1.7 (I'm thinking of an ND and CPL filter)
Ya same issue with the Oly 45/1.8 with the 37mm filter thread. While the 17 & 25 f1.8s are both 46mm as are the Panasonic 14/2.5 and 20/1.7 pancakes (I have all of these now), so kind of annoying you have to remember with the 45 to bring the step up ring with you.

bmhome1

just an old pro
Real Name
Bruce
The 42.5 f/1.7 is incredibly small. The lens hood it comes with is also and reverse bayonets making for very nice little package. It would lose that with 46mm lens shade attached. The OEM replacement can be often found on eBay.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use an expandable rubber hood on my PL 15 - has every adv. except it is not rectangular.

Real Name
Walter
I bought a screw-in hood for my PL15 and put the OEM hood away. Too easy to lose and too expensive to replace. It came with a lens cap that fit into the screw-in hood and I leave the hood on semi-permanently. This is not currently available on Amazon, but you should be able to find something similar. Fotasy Metal Screw-In Lens Hood for Panasonic Lumix 14mm F2.5 /Panasonic 20mm f1.7 Lens/ Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 Lens, 46mm Curved Lens Hood, Panasonic 20mm f1.7 Lens Hood, + Lens Cap

1624569123319.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Amazon currently has this one, made for wide-angles, but I never found the previous one to vignette on the 15mm, even when screwed into a UV filter on the lens.
https://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-Designed-Voigtlander-Panasonic-LP46/dp/B083R7N4YJ/ref=sr_1_7_sspa

Last edited:

WRay

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ray
I bought a screw-in hood for my PL15 and put the OEM hood away. Too easy to lose and too expensive to replace. It came with a lens cap that fit into the screw-in hood and I leave the hood on semi-permanently. This is not currently available on Amazon, but you should be able to find something similar. Fotasy Metal Screw-In Lens Hood for Panasonic Lumix 14mm F2.5 /Panasonic 20mm f1.7 Lens/ Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 Lens, 46mm Curved Lens Hood, Panasonic 20mm f1.7 Lens Hood, + Lens Cap

View attachment 894932

Amazon currently has this one, made for wide-angles, but I never found the previous one to vignette on the 15mm, even when screwed into a UV filter on the lens.
https://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-Designed-Voigtlander-Panasonic-LP46/dp/B083R7N4YJ/ref=sr_1_7_sspa
I have a similar setup. It’s especially useful for using my polarizing filter. I can just turn the shade to adjust it!

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Fotasy Metal Screw-In Lens Hood for Panasonic Lumix 14mm F2.5 /Panasonic 20mm f1.7 Lens/ Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 Lens, 46mm Curved Lens Hood, Panasonic 20mm f1.7 Lens Hood, + Lens Cap
I have that one one my Oly 17/1.8, works great. Although a year-ish ago I kind of knocked it out of "round" during a drunken :drinks: day in Boston at a beer 🍺 fest with a bunch of friends. So that cap no longer goes on it. 🍻I think it happened after the fest itself when we stumbled a couple miles across Boston. "No, occifer, we haven't been drinking..."

49499231711_f932fd575f.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Nope, No Drinking Going On Here by Patrick, on Flickr

Real Name
Walter
I have that one one my Oly 17/1.8, works great. Although a year-ish ago I kind of knocked it out of "round" during a drunken :drinks: day in Boston at a beer 🍺 fest with a bunch of friends. So that cap no longer goes on it. 🍻I think it happened after the fest itself when we stumbled a couple miles across Boston. "No, occifer, we haven't been drinking..."

View attachment 894950 Nope, No Drinking Going On Here by Patrick, on Flickr
Good thing the hoods are cheap to replace. :)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
I finally got the Panny 42.5mm lens and as per CEX tradition it did not come with the OEM lens hood ... I was surprised they were "kind" enough to send the beauty ring.

I do wonder if it would be better to get the OEM hood to be able to reverse store it, given its size it can be quite big ... Compared to Panny Leica 15mm lens hood.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom