Recommendations requested for 10k run

Discussion in 'Sports and Action' started by Debbie.Cato, May 29, 2016.

1. Debbie.Cato

Debbie.Cato Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2016
    For the second year I will be photographing the 10k run for SC811. Last year I photographed this event with a Canon SL1 and 15-85 lens. The company was very pleased with the results so they are delighted that I have agreed to do it again.

This year I have converted to Olympus m43 and have the e-m5, e-pm2, 17mm 2.8, 25mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8, 14-42 II R and 40-150mm R. I will certainly be purchasing at least one backup battery. I still own the shoulder harness from when I was photographing weddings, so I can easily carry both bodies with lenses attached without fear of dropping anything. I am just in the process of building my kit and only have the bundled flash units. I will be shooting from about 6 - 10 am.

I would appreciate any tips, tricks and recommendations offered by the fine people on this site. It is my understanding that I should use single instead of continous autofocus.

Thank you for any insight you are able to share.

2. Ashenwelt

Ashenwelt New to Mu-43

Apr 13, 2016
    Robert
    I would preset each camera for the configs I would be using... Probably the 40-100 and the 25. And make an extra My set on an additional lens on each. Remember no 1/125 second shots. And then get a list of requested shots. Focus on those first. Have fun!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Don't over think it. Just because the camera has changed doesn't mean the way you shoot has to differ that much.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the EM5 is not a good sports/tracking camera. I would avoid using C-AF and stick with S-AF. If you want tracking, either use the Canon again if you still own it or look at getting an EM1. That will keep the frustration level down to a minimum.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    A light camera, that's a lot of running. I will try to find the quote from one of the Olympus exects about the advantage of running away from lions with the 300/4 compared to a Canon 600/4.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Debbie.Cato

Feb 23, 2016
    I will not being running :) Last year I photographed starting and finish lines and awards. They had a 2nd photographer on route in car.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Debbie.Cato

Feb 23, 2016
    Thank you so much for this reminder! I was aware of the ss issue when I bought these cameras but haven't given it a thought since. I certainly would not want company photos to be affected. Thank you!

7. Debbie.Cato

Feb 23, 2016

Thank you for your suggestions. I have sold all the Canon gear so will be shooting S-AF. I haven't had a chance to work on tracking motion since I got the Olympus gear so hopefully it will go ok.

8. Sounds like you have the gear fairly well covered. +1 on the spare battery..the Wasabi's have worked nicely in my M10. The only other lens I could suggest is something in the ultrawide category..maybe Rok 7.5 fisheye..to get those shots showing the whole crowd..and try holding the camera high overhead for a different look. Don't forget to try panning with the runners at a lower shutter speed to get a nice blurred effect. You should be able to draw on last year's experience and remember what worked and what didn't...and for the stuff that didn't, how you can turn this around or maybe utilize the newer gear to an advantage. From trying to get shots in crowded areas before, your shooting positions are a big thing..finding them and hanging on to them. Again, your previous experience is valuable..put it to work.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Debbie.Cato

Feb 23, 2016
    Thank you - I like your creative photo suggestions very much and will incorporate them :)