Recommendations for Video

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by frigger, Aug 21, 2012.

1. frigger

frigger New to Mu-43

Aug 21, 2012
    Greetings everyone,

I have shot a lot of documentary-style films with the 5D and 7D, but am looking for something more compact and lighter for extended trips into the field. From your experience, what are the current best all around 4/3 cameras for shooting video? Specifically looking for something that can shoot 1080 24p.

Thanks kindly!
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the Panasonic GH2 is the only micro 4/3 that offers 24p as far as i know... prices are good at the moment as there is expected to be a GH3 real soon.

3. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Panasonic GH2. You might want to wait till after Photokina to see if the GH3 might be released though (also will probably cause a price drop in the GH2).
  4. rapid

rapid Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
  5. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    You would probably find that when the GH3 arrives it will be selling at 3 - 4 times the price of a good used GH2 for only (perhaps) incremental improvement in video quality, specs and performance) (It will almost certainly be a big step up in stills ability)
    At the moment in the UK a good GH2 can be bought for about £450 ( body only UK)
    By the time the GH3 goes on sale they will be going for £350 - £400
    The GH3 will almost certainly be selling for £1200.00 ??
    Unless you need to be absolutely up to date with latest specs and perhaps the weatherproofing we are all expecting on the GH3 then I would go with the GH2.
    It is used by many semi pros and pros as primary and secondary video cameras due to the exceptional (transmission class) video quality it produces for its size and cost
    Incidentally the GH1 is still very good and able to be updated with higher bit rate after market video firmware which puts it almost on a par with the performance of the GH2 with the benefit of being a lot more affordable (circa £200 - £250.00 UK) (firmware is freely available on relevant internet search and free of charge I believe - never tried it myself)
    Both GH1 and 2 accept the DMW - MS1 Stereo Boom mic (circa £100.00 on eBay UK)

Hope this helps in a small way ?