Recommendations for travel within CONUS? Photography in mind.

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Dan Lopez, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Can anyone help me with this, my B-day is coming up and my wife has decided we should go to N.Y... We have to book now.. I'm looking for a less costly alternative to New York, I'm considering Washington D.C or Boston.

2. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    dc and boston are still expensive. Might as well go to NY if thats what you want to do.

3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I can still get hotels (good ones at that) on both Boston and DC for around 70-ish. You just have to scour the internet. But no matter how much scouring I do, in NY I never saw one below $100, even with 1-star hotels, if my memory serves me right.

Boston and DC are both very nice places to visit. Personally though I avoid DC from Jul-Aug, it's so hot! (And I grew up in a tropical country!) Avoid Boston I guess during the winter, unless seeing wintry weather is on your list.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

4. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Oops.. Didn't see that tou have to book now. I can only speak for Boston, but the current weather here is a throw of the dice. :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Where you coming from? If from far away, you can't NOT got to New York. That would be like going to Hawaii and not going to the beach.

If hotels are expensive, I wonder if you can find one by the airport or one along one of the many train lines - PATH, NJ Transit, Metro North, etc...

6. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Thanks Hyubie! We're scouring the net now., unfortunately my wife and I both have passports that are expired so are travel options are limited to CONUS. I'm leaning towards D.C and N.Y, followed by San Fran (love it and it's less than 2hr flight from L.A) and Maui being the last minute wild card. Any recommendations on where to look? -Dan

7. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    NY is an excellent place to celebrate christmas, if that's what you're doing.

Otherwise, San Francisco is easy and close. You can even drive. Hotels will be as expensive as NY though, probably.

Maui will be by far the most expensive, but probably also the most fun. Not sure what the weather is like right now, but it can't be that bad ;).

8. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Coming from L.A .. That's true lol.. if I were going alone or w/ the boys I wouldn't mind staying at a 2 star..

I want to go somewhere with great food, omnomnom!! :)

9. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Thanks! I agree. I've been to Maui and loved it so it's always on my list of places to visit. Frisco is probably my favorite place but my wife and I have been there often.. That leaves Boston and D.C, really leaning towards Boston right now...

Boston, where to stay? Do we need a car?

10. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Woot!! booked a trip to Boston! Thanks all who cared to post. I appreciate the info.. Go Lakers! Lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You're in LA? And want to go somewhere for photography in the winter? $$$ is a concern?

Then why fly across the country?

Joshua Tree
    Moab, UT
    Death Valley
    and on and on and on, all cheap this time of year, all spectacular, and all much closer than NYC or Boston.

That said, NYC between Christmas and New Year's is amazing. NYE in Times Square is perhaps the most overhyped thing EVER, though.

12. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Joshua Tree, Death Valley would not work (on holiday w/wife) trying for city life...and theres something about Utah.. booked a trip to Boston, we picked up a great deal..staying @ the Bulfinch Hotel (waterfront) and we saved $800.00 vs NYC package. We're now considering taking the train to NYC for a day w/ the money we saved. :biggrin:

13. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Good choice. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  14. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I love Boston, very walkable with a camera in your hand. Lots to see, more 'European' than NYC IMHO. Of course, you have to experience NYC at some point, it is a unique place. I love to go there, but after a week I also love to leave again...

Maui is cold right now, temperatures are threatening to fall below 82F this week ;)

Stefan

15. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    + 1 on that quip about NY. I can only stay there up to a maximum amount of time, and then it gets to me and I look forward to the trip away form it. :smile: NOTHING against NY though, being from Boston. :biggrin:

As to Maui, I'd looooove to get that cold.

16. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    At least Maui would be warmer than Southern California.

It was 75 degrees here today. Brrr...

17. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Boston was great, my wife and I enjoyed it... some tips parking is expensive $45 a day , its cold and the food is amazing. My favorite food places in no particular order Giacomo's Ristorante, Tasty Burger,( beer battered patty burger) (wtf!!), Regina's Pizza, Mike's Pastry etc.. The city is so nicely laid out very walkable and the historic architecture is a feast for the eyes. Thanks all who helped me decide. Here's a link to my pic thread...
    https://www.mu-43.com/f57/lax-city-boston-19381/

18. skywarrior

skywarrior New to Mu-43

Jan 25, 2012
    Savannah, GA
    Sorry I saw this late. Next time consider Savannah. It's beautiful and very friendly. Costs less than the big cities as well. If you're here, set aside another day and also see Charleston (2 hour drive). Both cities are great food towns as well.