1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Recommendations for Sholder strap for EPL5/OMD

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by WT21, Apr 24, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm looking for a good shoulder strap recommendation. I would like a fairly longish one, and even an adjustable one, that I can wear from my left shoulder, till the camera is on my right hip, and that I can hold up the camera via VF or LCD without having to take the strap completely off. I'm looking for one that has 2 connections to the strap lugs on either side of the camera. Not an Black Rapids strap or other sling strap that screws into the tripod mount. I already have one of those.

Additionally, I'm hoping for a quick release disconnect where the stubs that are left on the camera are pretty short. I have one now that leaves about 14" tails, and that's too much for my needs. I'd also love one which clips onto the camera, rather than having to do the loop-the-loop, but that might be asking too much.

Anyone have some favored straps that meet this description?

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have this one which is meant to carried like you describe, sling-like. No quick release though.

ONA | The Lima

Edit: I have an OP/TECH sling that has a quick release. However, I find the buckle release on the ONA to be pretty darn quick.

3. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Check out PEAK DESIGNS

4. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Seconded. I have the Peak Design Leash and I love it. It took a little bit of work to get the tails through the holes on the lugs, but once I did it's nice and snug.

I love that it can go from shoulder to neck to safety strap. If I do take it off only the tails are left and their small and light. The strap itself is small and light and stows well.

Peak Design Leash & Cuff

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Cool! My only issue is the strap itself seems narrow. Might dig in over time? I'll have to see if there's a shoulder pad I could add without getting too far away from their design ethic.

6. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    I thought that too, but I haven't experienced that yet. I won't say it won't dig in because that's going to depend on the individual. I find it's wide enough to be comfortable and the E-M5 isn't heavy enough to put a large load on my shoulder (unlike my co-worker's 5D MkII :).

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Have you tried the Peak wrist strap, too?

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Or, have you tried their clip system?

9. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    I haven't tried the clip system yet. I also don't have the wrist strap, but I'm leaning towards getting one now.

10. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    This Leica strap removes and attaches with nothing hanging off the camera when the strap is off. It uses an ingenious attachment. Strap is strong, yet fits into small camera bags easily. Strap pad grips onto a shoulder; not overboard such as Upstrap. Read some of these reviews.

Leica Carrying Strap with Anti-Slip Pad for R & M 14312 B&H

11. flippic

flippic Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
  12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  13. pcdawg

pcdawg Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2012
    |Just recently picked up the leash, wrist strap and micro plate. Love the system. Very easy to switch in leash mode from the neck to sling. Moving to the wrist strap was easy as well.

WHat i love about the wrist strap is that its very comfortable and soft. Its wraps around and securely clips onto your wrist like a braceley when its not in use and when you need it just unclip it and attach it onto your camera in no time.

14. lescox

lescox Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    :thumbup:
    Another very happy Ona/Lima user.
    As said there is no quick release but it sits nicely put of the way and is long enough to be used as is.

Plus on the purely asthetic side I think it is one of the best looking straps available and compliments the retro OMD style beautifully.

15. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    The buckle on the Lima looks to work well in an old-school style. That'll go with my Billinghams! Dang rationalization. Very weakening. :)

Okay, totally weakened. I ordered one.

I'll have to print the thread out and blame you guys in defense of my purchase. :D

16. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
  17. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I'm another fan of the Peak Design Leash and Cuff. You can use them with the Capture Clip or seperately. I use the Capture Clip on my hiking pack, with the Cuff attached to one strap lug of the camera and the other end looped through a clip on my pack. So if the camera falls from my hands, it only drops 8" and is held by the Cuff.

The Cuff is a perfect wrist strap in my opinion. It's light and thin enough to not be a bother and very easy to take off. I leave a pair of the connectors on the left side strap lug on the camera all the time.

The leash is great because it can roll up and fit in any pocket, yet unrolls to become a full size across the shoulder (or around the neck) strap and connects to the same connectors as the Cuff.

The system is awesome.

18. lescox

lescox Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia

You won't be sorry, even the packaging is first class.

19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I am expecting the ONA Lima to out live me. If you are in the buy once camp, you may want to consider the Lima.