1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Recommendations for settings/customising on E-M5 mark II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by manju69, Sep 21, 2015.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi folks
    My new E-M5 mark II will be here soon so I wondered about your tips for settings and customisation.

I am familiar with Oly menus as I had the E-M10 before but this looks more complex (more buttons for starters!)

Thanks in advance. ​

2. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    yes the e-m5 II has more function buttons but the settings menu layout is basically the same. you just have more buttons to configure. :) i upgraded from an e-m5 I and setting up the mark II is not that different..

i guess going thru the menu every time it gets reset by a firmware upgrade forced me to be more familiar with the menu items. but i really wish olympus will improve on this, i.e. settings can be saved to the sd card and similar/applicable settings can be imported from and exported to various models.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    Hi Pete

Customisation is such a personal thing - what 'works' for me might not work for you?

Sounds like it won't be too steep of a learning curve if you're already used to the E-M10.

The E-M5 Mk2 is the first OM-D camera I've owned (although not the first camera by far), so I went through every setting to make sure it was configured exactly how I liked. I'm still 'tweaking' a little, but have it set up basically for how I shoot 90% of the time.

The extra function buttons on the E-M5 Mk2 are great and really help to make the camera experience your own. I love the E-M5 Mk2 - hands down the best camera experience I've ever had after some 30+ years in photography.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Turn off Quick Sleep Mode! (bottom of utility menu). It is turned on by default and makes the camera extremely quick to 'go to sleep' and extremely slow to 'wake up'. The battery life is not so bad that you need this thing turned on -- it really worsens the user experience. Carry a spare battery, and use QS mode only in emergencies!

• Like Like x 1
  5. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Oh, before you do anything else, make sure that your new camera has the latest firmware installed. It is worth having, and resets the camera to factory settings, so any setting up you do will be lost!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The default high-res image mode is JPEG. Assuming that you have software that can handle raw files in high-res, change the camera to raw, or raw+JPEG for high-res. When you shoot high-res in raw, you get the 16 MP standard-res raw file as well, which is very handy if subject motion has degraded the high-res image. You can --a-- use the standard-def file instead, or --b-- use a layer-based editor to make a hybrid image that is mostly high-res but has standard-res overlay over the areas affected by motion artefacts.

• Like Like x 1
  7. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Excellent tips everyone - already very helpful.