1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Recommendations for Lightroom 4 tutorial/training

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by fljoe, Apr 18, 2012.

1. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    I am a complete newbie to image post processing, so picked up Lightroom 3 for a great deal from B&H and then got the upgrade for Lightroom 4 for free from Adobe. I started shooting in RAW last week and want to do some post-processing in Lightroom 4. Problem is .. I find it too intimidating. I looked for various tutorials on the Internet and found a bunch of them, but I am not sure which is the best one that will give me the best bang for my buck. Here's some that I have found and if anyone here has taken any of these tutorials before, can you please give me your recommendations ...

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 | Adobe TV
    Lightroom 4 Fundamentals and Beyond Video Tutorials | Lightroom and Photoshop Tutorials, Tips and Training by Laura Shoe
    Tutorials, Workshops, Online Software Training - video2brain
    Photoshop Lightroom | KelbyTraining.com
    Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 for Digital Photographers, Lightroom Training Video from Colin Smith from PhotoshopCAFE
    Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips « Online Photoshop Lightroom Tutorials and Tips with Matt Kloskowski Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips
    Adobe Lightroom 4 Video Workshop: 16 All New Tutorials on the Lightroom Library Workflow and Digital Photo Library Management
    Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 DVD Guide: A – Z Tutorials for Mastering Adobe Lightroom (Digital Download) tutorial
    lr4-combo

Thanks for your help!

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I watched a Lightroom course by Laura Shoe the other week. It was pretty good. Then again, it was free, so I might be biased by that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I found the Scott Kelby book on LR3 to be invaluable for someone just learning the product. Kelby takes you step by step through the tools as you would actually use them. Most of the images he uses as examples are downloadable from his web site you can follow his directions step by step. I too found LR nearly incomprehensible when trying to learn it on my own, but after a few days, maybe a week, with the Kelby book I felt like I really knew how to PP my own images.

His LR4 book is due out soon. I've not looked at his online tutorials, but I suspect they're very similar to what he walks you through in the book. Personally, I prefer a book so I can have the book open on my desk, LR open on my computer, and view both at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. p@ul

p@ul Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2011
  5. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    @ p@ul,
    I saw that, but currently it only covers the Library workflow & library management. I believe he is doing the Develop module later.

6. Muntz

Muntz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2010
    Canada
    Here is another vote for the Laura Shoe CreativeLive sessions. She did a great job of covering the new features of the Develop module. Actually she did a great job of covering all the modules; but, I found the Develop portion most helpful in explaining the new controls and how they work differently than in Lightroom 3.

I managed to catch the Laura Shoe sessions for free live; but, I think the 3 days of the show can be downloaded from CreativeLive for $99. Not that bad of a deal.

Another good resource that I've just started to dive into is Martin Evening's "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers"

The Evening book isn't really a tutorial though as it goes into pretty deep detail; but, isn't really a step-by-step intro to Lightroom at all. I would recommend this book for the more advanced Lightroom user that wants to dig deeper.

7. jair

jair Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    I watched the youtube videos of slr lounge. Organized in different playlists, each video is relatively short(from 2 to 15 min) and focus on different setting.

They are also focused towards a complete beginner(like me and you), and one by one all settings are explained. Including the many duplicate ways of doing the same thing, which is the part that can confuse you in the begining.

Anyway, try some of the short ones to see if it is your cup of tea, it is free so at most you lose few minutes. By the way, they are LR3 based, not a big deal.

These are all playlists, I recommend starting from Chapter 1.

SLRlounge - YouTube

8. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead and purchased George Jardine's LR4 Library tutorial for now. Will let you know how it turns out .. he has great reviews on his website.

9. JohnKendrick

JohnKendrick Mu-43 Regular

Jardine and Kelby

I can definitely highly recommend the Jardine modules for version 3 and the library module for version 4. As for the Kelby book, I doubt I would ever have gotten far enough into LR to use it, had I not had that book. Just essential.

10. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Have you look at Julieanne Kost's? Best bang for buck... $0 :thumbup:

Oops.. its the same as AdobeTV.. my bad :redface:

11. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    I recommend the Luminous Landscape videos. They have both an advanced guide and a new users introduction. The full set of advanced videos is still incomplete, but new videos are added regularly:

lr4-combo