Recommendations for GX-85 Battery

Mu-43 Legend
I would like to get a second battery.

Panasonic's battery + charger is $100 new ($50-60 used), which seems like a lot

Amazon shows a Wasabi battery, but when I type in DMW-BLG10, it shows instead a BLE9 battery, and says it's for GX85. Is that accurate?

B&H also sells used genuine Panny BLG10s batteries for mid-$20s. I have a $20 gift card to B&H, so that seems to make sense.

What have other folks done? Have you got an after-market charger + battery or just a battery?

Also, how does the genuine Panny battery hold a charge when out of a camera?

Thanks for any thoughts.

update: ended up getting the double-battery w/double-charger $20 deal from Amazon.

Last edited:

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
a genuine Panny battery can save you a lot of trouble

not so much with the charger maybe

rumplestiltskin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wasabi batteries and chargers have always worked well for me. I bought the 2-pack with single charger but now I see they offer a double-charger for only a dollar more. Next time, I'll buy this one.
By the way, my one "genuine" battery doesn't last as long as the Wasabi. Go figure.

JHFoto

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeff
Always used third-party batteries with no problems, save a lot of money too...................:thumbup:

noelh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bayview Township, SouthShore of Lake Superior
Limited to GF-1 & G2. Have tried a couple non-Pany batteries. When new all but one work fine under normal environmental conditions. Temperature extremes exposes the weakness of some. Guessing higher inherent IRs really saps the capacity of lower quality batteries in cold conditions. Relative to real Panasonic batteries they have had a shorter life span in terms of useable capacity.

Regarding aftermarket batteries you need to weigh cost over years and the need to carry more backup batteries as they age. At least you still have the option for originals.

Flying (actually more crashing) lipo powered R/C aircraft and using a couple overpriced 18650 powered flashlights for a few years. Over the years have become a bit selective in purchasing batteries and chargers. Panasonic, Sony, LG, Samsung all make some quality cells. Problem is the quality control of the battery maker. Sort of worry about after-market sellers that just label a battery from whatever factory.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Been using Wasabi in pretty much every m4/3 body I've owned and my Fuji X70. Are they as good as OEM? Probably not. But I can't say I've ever been able to point to an occurrence where a Wasabi battery has drained quicker or lasted longer than an OEM battery.

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
I have had great luck with the Wasabi batteries and chargers. I have tried several other brands of aftermarket batteries and not had much luck.

noelh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bayview Township, SouthShore of Lake Superior
Thanks. Will give Wasabi a try if they sell a BLB13PP replacement. Guessing originals are no longer available based on no stock at Panasonic web site, B&H, AMZ....

Need to solder up an adapter for the ESR meter and check out the IR, capacity... of a new Wasabi. No fresh Pany to compare against. Maybe start collecting data. Or maybe just not fuss and just buy, shoot and replace.

Derek

Mu-43 Regular
I've used the Watson batteries and chargers from B&H for a few cameras without issue, just for a little more anecdotal evidence.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Genuine Panasonic batteries and chargers for 4 cameras. No problems. Two cameras share 5 batteries.

Latest threads

Top Bottom