1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Recommendations for first 'adpted lens'

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Fist up can we please clafiry something.

I have the ubiquitious Pany 14-42, with crop factor of 2 this equates to 28-84 in FF

Sooooooo...! an old 50mm FF lens equates to 25mm in m43, correct?

Can any lens, FF or 43 be used on m43 with an adaptor.
    Focusing is obviously manual.
    Metering I assume is TTL, manual or Av.

I have the following Pany lenses..7-14, 14-42, 45-200 and I'm looking to play around 'cheaply' with an 'adapted lens'.

First, considering my line-up, is there any point and second what would be the best/inexpensive lens/adaptor to start with.

I've been 'into' photography for about 50 years but as you will gather I'm very new to the m43 system.

D in W

2. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011

That would be incorrect a 50mm legacy lens = 100mm on M43 2x crop factor..

FD glass is great, and relatively cheap imo.. you can get adapters for most legacy glass for 10-15.00 bux on the cheap end.

3. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    As above, old Canon FD lenses can be had relatively cheaply. I have a 50mm f.18, a 28mm f2.8 and a 135mm f3.5, all 3 came in under £65 due to trauling through ebay. The adaptors can be found for little money too. The lenses give nice image results and i find them great for video work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

here is one Idea

yes you can use just about any lens. Even old C mount movie lenses that were designed for 16mm film movie cameras.
    Just make sure you stay away from CS-mount lenses. Also only get focal lengths at 25mm and above when considering C-mount lenses, otherwise you will get severe vignetting.

Well based on what lenses you have listed, you really don't need any high quality legacy glass to play around with right away.Most adapted 35mm film lenses can be quite heavy and large compared to the Native lenses. Also is depends on what you consider a cheap for a lens

But you might find it fun to play around with a cheap c-mount. I think those can be found the cheapest. There is one listed on the auction site that is here, and i am not recommending that you buy this one , but only to look at it because the seller gives many photo examples taken with a Cheap lens like this (there are higher quality more expensive C-mount lenses too).

I don't have a lens like this but am thinking of getting one just to play with.
    I purchased my G-1 without a lens and just bought an MD and FD adapter so i can use all my Canon FD and Minolta MD lenses on it . But since i purchased a Zuiko 14-42mm a month ago, and because of the weight and size of the legacy glass i do not use them all too often. Just a couple for when i need speed. I find myself using mostly the 45mm f2 Rokkor, and my 28mm f2.8 Rokkor. Although i do often use this 20-80mm f2.5 c-mount Zoom lens. I think its a good walking around lens, when i don't want to take my whole bag with me , and it does not vignette too much wide open.

5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Thanks guys for the answers thus far.

I have located a Canon FD 50mm f1.8 standard lens and a adaptor for a total price of £65.

The question now is, what would this give me over and above the combination of lenses that I already have?

D in W

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    ....and there is that old Pentax SMC Takumar 50/1.4 ....kinda has a reputation and a 'minor' cult following. You know, all the bad things :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  7. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    For a start the FD will give you f1.8 to work with. You do get a lovely shallow DOF with this and the Bokeh comes out fairly nicely. You will probably already know this, it will be good in lower light conditions. Put it to about f2 - f4 and it sharpens up nicely. You still get a shallow(ish) DOF but it has nice sharpness to the edges. The older SSC (?) coatings also give you some nice effects when used in bright light, i find they give a lovely flair if moved around just right. Also one thing i have found with these lenses, it is great to work in MF. It makes taking a picture a more tactile affair, it really makes you think about the composition and framing of the image as it makes you slow down and look around. £65 is not a bad price, but i'm sure with a bit more scouting you could find it for at least a Tenner less ;)

8. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
  9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Dave, if I were you, I would completely ignore crop factor. The actual focal length doesn't change; it's just to help old film guys realize what type of lens they're buying in different formats. If you're not a film guy, don't worry about the crop factor, it just seems to be confusing you. Since you have basically every focal length covered, you can simply do a quick test. If you find a 50mm lens for sale, for example, put your 45-200mm lens on your camera and zoom it to 50mm. The adapted lens will have the exact same view, and will be zoomed in exactly the same amount, save for any manufacturing differences (a 50mm lens may actually be 52mm, for example). So, you have all the lenses to let you know exactly what you're getting in to, except that the adapted lenses are going to have larger apertures, so you will be letting in more light to shoot in darker situations, and blurring the background more. You are correct in that most any lens can be used with m4/3, but I would do a quick search on ebay or google for the correct adapter, to make sure that it exists. Play with your lenses, and look for your favorite or most convenient focal length. I use my 50mm when doing some portraiture, or photos of my cats, but I find the 24mm to be a great walk-around focal length. Given the m4/3 sensor diagonal of 22.5mm, it's actually closer to a "normal lens" than either the 20mm or 25mm made for our cameras!

I'd say that if you choose a lens mount, to get yourself a set. Konica, Minolta Rokkor, Pentax K mount, Pentax Takumar, Yashica, Canon FD, etc. are all pretty comparable and respected. So, choose one you like, and hop in! Get yourself a 24mm, maybe a 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 135mm, and a macro lens, and you're set for any type of photography that doesn't need wide angle! Again, to see how the lenses act on your camera, instead of worrying about focal length, just put one of your lenses on your camera, and zoom to the appropriate setting.

10. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I agree with what most others said before me.

All suggested brands are good choices, but you may also consider Olympus OM mount lenses. Main reason : those lenses have somewhat official support on :43: via the Olympus adapter and compatibility chart.

The focal range covers pretty much everything from 21mm to 250mm, and they were the smallest and lightest lenses built for 35mm film.

Cheers,

Mauve

11. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Hi Dave,

I convert that to 101 US dollars. I know prices in the UK are high, but that's too much for a common 30 year old lens that someone found in an attic or thrift shop. I see that FD adapters are £11 on your ebay.co.uk and someone else showed a FD 50mm listing for £25. That's more inline with the US market on ebay (prices too high there too).

What does it give you? Well, it's a useful portrait lens. You don't do a lot of portaits? OK. it gives you the same view as your 45-200 at its lower zoom setting, but when both lenses are wide open, you can use a shutter speed that is 2X faster on the older lens.

For example, you might be in a situation where the best your 45-200 can give you is 1/30 second at f4, but your subject is not still. The 50mm FD can in principle give you 1/125 at its f1.8, maybe enough to stop action. Whether it's sharp enough at F1.8 for your needs is another issue. And then we also have to assume you can use the 100mm effective view with the crop factor.

Otherwise, if you don't need a fast lens for dark places, we go back to narrow depth of field and portrait applications. Your current lineup cannot do that as well.

12. Brewed4Thought

Brewed4Thought Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2011
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I suggest acting whichever way costs you the least money.

For example, my friend showed up with a case full of old OM lenses. So I bought an OM adapter. I've been having great fun with those lenses.

As others have said, you have everything covered with your current lenses, so unless you have a specific need in mind, why blindly pick.

Look for a cheap deal at a pawn shop, or a find in someone's attic. Amazon can get you affordable adapters in only a few days. The find, brief wait and experimentation is quite exhilarating.