1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Recommendations for backpack-style camera bags....

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tanngrisnir3, Apr 26, 2012.

1. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    For day hikes/climbs up into more extreme altitudes and rocks, mostly in the Eastern Sierra, so if you've been there, or just seen it from the 395, you'll know the conditions I'm talking about.

Carrying:

Tripod
    Various rectangular filters
    GH2
    14-45, 20mm, 40-150 possibly 7-14.
    Canon 7d
    at least three lenses for that
    Rokkor 135mm f2 and 200mm 3.5
    adapter
    small bit of cleaning gear
    Leatherman and various other small tools.

It's got to be backpack-style, as sling-type bag drive me nuts after 1/2 or so, and most of the travel will involve steep inclines and possibly class 3 type hand-grabbing, etc....

Anyone?

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I don't have any specific recommendations for you, but if you dig through this thread, I'm sure you'll find something that would suit you.

I've had good luck with Tamrac and LowePro bags.

3. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Ha! Thanks, but that's why I started this thread, actually, since the other one is 45 pages or so.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah that thread is a bit unwieldy, but it does contain a lot of useful recommendations if you have the time to sift through it.

5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    My equipment list is fairly similar to yours. I use a Lowepro Flipside 400AW. It carries my 7D, 300/4 + 1.4x, 17-50/2.8, 11-16/2.8, GH2 + 100-300, 14-140, Zoom H4n, Hyperdrive, 580EX flash, batteries for everything and Singhray filters. There's a tripod holder as well. The harness system is comfortable for all-day hikes, and you can access most of your equipment without removing the backpack, simply slide it around to the front.

If I need to carry even more stuff, then its the Lowepro NatureTrekker II, just barely airline legal, but I used that for my 120-300/2.8 + 1Dm2 plus other stuff. The harness on this is even better, and the whole thing is weather-sealed. I often have 40-50 lbs of equipment in this.

6. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks! Googling/Amazoning now!

7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    You might also want to check out cambags.com, since all the postings and pics are from real-world usage.

8. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I love F-stop Gear packs; I currently use the Guru. A medium insert carries my D300 rig easily, and I just got a small insert for the E-M5 system.

It's expensive, but is a well made internal frame pack. Lots of attachment points for a tripod, internal sleeve for a laptop or hydration bladder (the bag has vents and loops for the hose) and tons of well thought out features. It's more comfortable than any of the Kata or Lowepro packs I've had, and there's been a few.