Recommendations for a filter for the 12-40 2.8 pro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dlhomesolutions, Mar 7, 2016.

1. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Hello!

I just bought the PRO lens and I absolutely love it! I really want to protect that giant chunck of glass but I do not want to sacrifice any quality of the photos.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a filter? Or is it best to leave it naked and roll with it?

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    A filter that does what? For protection on all my lenses.....a hood. No optical degradation from a hood. :2thumbs:

For CPL and 10 stop ND I use B+W Kaesemann. Those are the only filters I carry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    The filter question is up there with film versus digital. This is a deeply personal decision, and both sides have legitimate points. Like mcasan, I use the lens hood as protection. In my book, filters add bulk, expense, and maybe slightly degrade image quality. The image quality thing is very slight, but perhaps significant when shooting into the light. I would rather take care with my lenses than rely on a filter. Also, the filter won't protect against everything, and if broken could actually do harm to the front element.

4. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I'm not going to step into the filter/no-filter fray, but I use B&W MRC UV and CPL filters for it. Expensive, but better than others I've tried.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd feel comfortable using any B+W MRC or Hoya HMC model. I typically go without a filter OR hood, though... :)

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ..... Me too .....

7. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Every lens I own gets a quality B&W MRC UV filter slapped on it right from the get go- have had good experiences with B&W. I haven't noticed any significant differences in IQ, though truth be told I'm not a pixel peeper.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
  9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I'll cite one reason why I put filters on my lenses. During a Christmas visit with family in the Northwest, we had a snow day on Mt. Hood. My nephew hit my EM1 w/12-40 square in the face with a snowball, got fresh snow falling on it and melting, and dunked the camera in the snow a couple of times. I'm glad I had the filter on and could just blow and brush off the snow off the filter rather than the front element. The hood did not protect it from the snowball. I was a little upset with him, but not nearly as much as if I hadn't had a filter on it. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    Did you know Olympus sells filters? They're not inexpensive, but they're advertised to compliment their lenses specifically.
    I switched to them after noticing some problems in my long night exposures. I started removing filters to take these pictures and realized how silly it was to have filters if I was constantly removing them.
    I haven't yet had to remove an Olympus branded filter.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

11. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Hood Filter gagging.

12. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
  13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The front elements are harder than snow. I'm sure it would have been 100% fine either way. Still the peace of mind can be nice.

14. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I've put and Hoya HD Protector on the 12-40 so I can clean it without worrying too much. I think you won't get any real image degradation except maybe for some extra flare reflections in some rare situations. The 12-40 hood is really small, not much protection from that.
    Beware of super slim filters that could touch the front element, test this placing a small piece of paper on the front element to see if there is contact before tightening the filter.

15. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    I put on a Hoya for piece of mind

16. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I've used B+W Slim Pro MRC Nano filters on various lenses for protection, including the 12-40, and very rarely see any issues with flare or color blobs. Any issues that I have seen also show up nearly as much without a filter. The flare/blob issues I have seen almost universally come from direct, bright, highly-saturated light sources, i.e. LED or HID lighting on musical/theatrical stages.

In my experience, the B+W MRC filter glass is less reflective than the front lens element at almost all angles - to the point of appearing to not even be there - and shouldn't be causing the issues that show up with non-MRC or cheap filters. While the filters are not inexpensive, I'd rather ruin a filter than the front element of an expensive lens, and will easily accept the slight possibility of flare or other issue. Plus I like to embrace the flare at times for effect... The last 12-40 I had ended up with a scratch on the front element, the value lost from that blemish was much more than the cost of a filter...

17. This is an age old dispute. I've always used a filter..UV or Skylight in the old days..clear ones now. I don't care what anyone says about the hardness of present day glass..I don't like having to clean the front or rear elements. The less I have to touch it with anything and apply any kind of solutions, the better I like it..simple as that. I think of lenses as an investment and marks of any kind lower the value of that investment. And when buying a used lens, if I know someone kept a filter on it, I'm more likely to feel better about buying it. All that said, I like the HOYA Pro 1 Digital.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Yeah actually the biggest reason I want a filter is for macro shots. I found I could get so close to the object that I'm afraid I will bump the filter or the lens. Especially if photographing things like wedding rings.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mu-43 mobile app

19. And besides, if you're shooting something that's IQ critical, you can always remove the filter..hard to put it on after something gets smeared on or slaps it.

20. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Get the proper Olympus filter .... I did!

• Like Like x 1