[recommendation needed] canon fd or minola md for sharp prime lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by suutsch, Nov 10, 2015.

1. suutsch

suutsch New to Mu-43

May 21, 2015
    Hi together,

i am looking for a speed booster adapter and use it with a manual/vintage 24mm prime lens to get ~35mm equiv. angle of view. I'm totally satisfied with my konica ar 40mm. Unfortunately there is no speed booster adapter for AR > M43.
    As I was looking for some 24mm prime lenses, I often found Canon FD or Minolta MD mounts.
    So what would you recommend? "The" 24mm (<= f/2.8) for this mount would be the key lens for my decision. But I would also take a look for some other focal lengths.

Question: Are Vivitars 24mm f/2.8 the same - just with different mounts? Or are there any differences between them?

Please recommend me a mount for using a speed booster and a manual 24mm prime lens, that have a quite good quality.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    My personal recommendation would be the Olympus 24mm f/2.8 with a Speedbooster. It's easily one of the best legacy 24mm's and it's super compact, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Probably best to stick with Canon FD and SSC coatings or try to find Olympus OM with MC markings or black nose. Nikon could also be a good choice. Vivitar not so much...coatings aren't quite as good. Had a Vivitar 28 f2.5 back in early days and it flared miserably.

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I do not know if this can help but I got an m42 -> Nikon adapter (an extremely thin ring) and now I'm using the m42 lens with a Nikon Ai-s speed booster.
    So maybe you could consider a few more mounts. Of course stacking adapters can give problems with infinity focus, etc.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  6. suutsch

suutsch New to Mu-43

May 21, 2015
    I considered to get the 17mm or the PL 15mm. But I often just go out with one of my old (prime) lenses and like to playing around. I'm using different mounts - Canon FD, Minolta MD, M42, Konica AR, but don't have any prime lens wider than 80mm (equiv.). Additionaly I want to try one of theese speed boosters. My aim is to have an quite good - "always-on" - prime lens at max. 35mm (equiv.). I'm not fixed to any mount.

7. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    The Canon FD 24mm f2 is supposed to be very very good. Don't believe that Minolta has an f2 in that focal length.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. Awfully pricey though. The fast legacy glass..tele or wide..holds a high value.

9. suutsch

suutsch New to Mu-43

May 21, 2015
    Though I want to get some more opinions here, I will take a look at the Canon FD 24mm f/2.8, because I already have an ordinary adapter for Canon FD. So I can take a look at the sharpness, colors etc.

When shooting with a (vintage) FF lens at M43 you are using the "sweet spot" of the lens, because you are cropping into the scene and leaving out the (often bad) corners. How does this behaviour change when using a speed booster?

10. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    There are some great Minolta lenses but I don't think you can get a Minolta SR/MD to Micro 4/3 focal reducer. You could get an EOS to M4/3 reducer and a Minolta SR/MD to EOS adapter, but it's another piece of glass...

11. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    Here's one that i have.

Metabones®

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Yes, there is that one, but it's not cheap at $399.

I haven't found one of the more affordable focal reducers for Minolta MD though. On a quick eBay search you can get a Canon FD to Micro 4/3 focal reducer for less than £60 from china or £65 from the UK (or $70 from China or $120 from the US). You could get several Canon FD lenses and a reducer for the price of the Metabones MD Speedbooster.

13. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    This may or may not fit your criteria. I have a Vivitar branded 19mm f3.8 lens that I actually like quite a bit. It won't get you 35mm, and it is a little slower. It looks like it was made in several different mounts. Mine is MC/MD. They are going on Ebay for around $100 or less.

Check out the showcase for my images with it.

14. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The basic idea is that the focal reducer takes the original image circle and scales it down to a smaller circle. So you are including more peripheral parts of the image. Crop factor becomes 1.4 so you are still far from the extreme corners. In general this downscale operation should improve the image (with good focal reducers at least).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I've been using this combo -- Olympus OM 24mm f/2.8 + Speed Booster -- and it's been pretty awesome. Here's an album of photos I've taken so far:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markryansallee/albums/72157657624854383

22470225097_bf339525c8_b.

22601621066_7ec380459e_b.

22074342293_3beee30590_b.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I would highly recommend reading the white paper on focal reducers by Metabones - http://www.metabones.com/article/of/sb-white-paper (pdf).

Note that the cheaper focal reducers out there, may or may not have all the capabilities of the Metabones Speedbooster. If you can see yourself using manual focus for a long time on the m43 platform, I would highly recommend the Metabones Speedbooster.

Tamron 17mm SP f3.5 with a Metabones Speedbooster;
    full.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1