Recommendation for Web hosting service

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SpecFoto, Dec 21, 2014.

1. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Hello, I am looking for a paid PHOTO hosting service where a small photo group I belong to, about 12 photographers, can all post photos, comment amongst each other, and give the models we work with access to the site. We want to keep the site private and have it password protected, it is not for general public viewing, although we may set up a 2nd section that could be for public view. Also we want to post larger size photos of 1500 by 2000 or greater pixel size for better viewing and not be restricted to 800 or 1,000 pixels, like most sites.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: My title may be confusing. I am not looking for web page hosting. More like a Flicker group, but without the censorship, file size limitations and can be made private via passwords.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    If you like WordPress, look at WP Engine for managed hosting.

If you want more hands-on, with full control of the whole system at the Linux level, check out Linode.

Otherwise, you need to specify what interface you're looking for.

Barry

3. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Thanks Barry, I use Macs and would like to stay with OSX if I can. But I did build a gaming pc last year or could put a boot camp partition with Windows 8.1 on a spare Mac, so I will check out WP. I was hoping not to have to publish a website, but find a photo service site that offers these features. For example, I use PBase and it would accommodate almost everything except allowing others to post photos on a password protected page, it is for single user posting only.

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I use Weebly to create my last site. It has all you are looking for and pricing is reasonable.

This is my current site I built with them if you are interested.
    http://www.bestlightphoto.net

5. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Thank you Andrew, your site is well laid out. Weebly is a good find for a Mac user, but it involves me building a website, and that was not my intent. Just looking for a photo hosting service that allows multiple users to post to the same account. Somewhat like this forum allows registered users to post comments and photos to threads. Maybe it is more involved than I thought and I will have to resort to building a website.

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Have you considered smugmug...they pride themselves on security. If you need a coupon code, let me know. I'll send you my site address to use (it helps us both out). I've been using them since 2007 and am extremely happy with them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Clint, no I am not familiar with most of the online services, that is what I asked here, they are just names to me. I gave smugmug a 2 minute look and it could be just what I need. Happy to give you credit if you want to PM me your info.

Thanks!!

Jim

8. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I believe Flickr and similar services will do what you want. You can just create a private group. Then you'll have a forum and image sharing component.

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    SmugMug, Zenfolio, possibly Photoshelter. You really need to play around to find what works best for you.

--Ken

10. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    PM Sent.

11. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    While Flicker allows larger size photos, I have been told they do not allow NSFW photos. Our group does a lot of fine art nude work in natural settings. Those are the 2 big issues with most of these services.

12. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Last I checked, Flickr does allow nudes, so long as they are properly marked. Since this is going to be a closed group, you'd have no chance of the images getting reported. However, If Flickr is not your choice, there are other places like 500px that just started up a groups and discussion section, or other photo sharing communities. I did not mean to say that Flickr was the only choice.

• Like Like x 1