Recommendation for beginner's book/dvd?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by duvinclunk, Sep 16, 2012.

1. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I have been perusing through the plethora of books/manuals on your site for different cameras, shooting styles, experience levels, etc. and was wondering if you had a recommendation. I'm new to photography and don't fully grasp the procedures and adjustments of the camera and am super eager to learn. I purchased an OMD EM5 from you and have played around with it for a few weeks. I'd now like to start learning more and getting familiar with shutter speeds, aperture, ISO, etc. and when and how to adjust them. Is there a book you'd recommend or even a DVD? I love the idea of a DVD as I'm a very visual person but an instructional book works all the same. Thanks!
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It may be a few days before B&H replies because they are on holiday for Rosh Hashanah.
  3. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Yes, their website certainly screams so huh? Haha!
  4. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    I've used digital 1 to 1.
    Many of the videos are free on youtube.
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Adorama also has some free videos - save some money! :biggrin:
  6. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Thanks! I'll look into it.
  7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I found Scott Kelby's "The Digital Photography Book" series to be a good, approachable place to start learning about the technical aspects of photography.

The fourth volume was released this year, but I'd start with Volume 1. I went through them all, but I definitely experienced decreased marginal returns with each book.
  8. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012

There are many good resources available today, but the best option is the camera in your hand. Unlike with film cameras, you can see your results instantly and begin to understand how f/stops and shutter speeds affect your images. There is no learning substitute for shooting.

Although geared towards 35mm, this book has been around for years and will cover the basic's. Fully illustrated each step of the way. Basic 35mm Photo Guide - 5th Edition includes f-stops, shutter speeds, films, lenses, composition, camera care, more.

The Digital Photography Book - Scott Kelby, the man who changed the "digital darkroom" forever with his groundbreaking, #1 bestselling, award-winning book The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers, now tackles the most important side of digital photography - how to take pro-quality shots using the same tricks today's top digital pros use (and it's easier than you'd think).
  9. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions Chuck.
    • Like Like x 1