Recommendation for a new (second) camera.

JVgiar

New to Mu-43
Lots of good responses. On the other hand, perhaps something quite different. A complement to your EM-5. I pair a GM1 with a GX9. With a small prime or the 12-32, its an easy always with me camera. There are many small m43 bodies. They are fun. The files are just as good as the big boys produce.

I would have to learn something new, which could be an interesting experience (and also having a second set of batteries) I would not mind having another M4/3 camera than an Olympus. Here a Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 body costs $840. I have never read a comparison between a GX9 and an Olympus EM-5 Mark III. The EM-5 is much pricier of course.

I own a Panasonic Lumix LX7 but its major drawback for me is the lack of EVF and of course no interchangeable lenses.

JVgiar

New to Mu-43
Those 3 lenses are not heavy and long. You should be fine with the EM5-mk3 on a tripod.

It seems so, but if I decide to import my camera from Amazon, and it costs $1000 (the EM-5 Mark III and the EM-1 Mark II have the same $1000 price) what could be the drawback of the EM-1 Mark II over the EM-5 Mark III apart from being a little heavier and a bit bigger or the advantages of the EM5-mk3 over the EM1-mk2?

Is the more recent EM5-mk3 an upgrade over the older "pro" EM1-mk2?

Last edited:

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith

I live in Tel Aviv and here an E-M5 Mark III body is around $1300 and an E-M1 Mark II Body around $1800.
So my choice will be between an E-M5 Mark III or an E-M1 Mark II or maybe some other Micro 4/3 camera fully compatible with my three Olympus Zuiko lenses. My maximum budget is $1000 but I would prefer less.

What particular features of the E-M5 do you appreciate? What features of the new cameras do you find appealing and think you'd use (new sensor, focus-stacking, articulating screen, etc.) Is video something that is important to you or that you'd like to explore more?

It is not so much a feature but more of a feeling: the first time I held an Olympus OM-D E-M5, I had a wonderful feeling of holding something sturdy and solid. Even today after so many years, I still have this surprising feeling each time I get hold of my E-M5: small, light but solid. I purchased my first "serious" camera in 1975, a Nikon F2, and my first and only DSLR was a Nikon D90. In 2013 I bought my Olympus OM-D E-M5 and despite being smaller and lighter than the Nikon D90, it reminded me of the feeling of solidity and sturdiness of the much bigger and heavier Nikon F2. The other camera that gives me the same feeling of solidity and sturdiness despite being even smaller and lighter than the E-M5, is my Panasonic Lumix LX7.

I once held an E-M5 Mark III in a camera store, and it did not have this sturdy and solid feeling of my old E-M5. A friend of mine owns an E-M5 Mark II, and it has this nice and sturdy and solid feel.
I also like the fast autofocus/ IQ images/ lightweight
The E-M5 was my first encounter with an EVF and I quite like it over the OVF. I would like my new camera to have even a better/larger EVF than my E-M5.

Video is something that I have rarely used until today with my OM-D E-M5 but that I may explore.

I get what you're saying about the E-M5 just feeling "right". I had a similar experience when I got mine (upgrading from an E-PL1 and an E-P3). It's such a solid design.

But when I first picked up an E-M1 (mk I) I knew I had to have one. The larger front grip fit my hand as though it was custom-made. The E-M1 addressed every ergonomic issue I ever had with the E-M5, even the ones I'd never noticed. Almost every control is positioned perfectly for me. To me, these ergonomic differences are the biggest thing separating the E-M5 III and E-M1 II. Beyond that, the specs are pretty similar. So before you make a decision between these two, I would strongly urge you to seek out an E-M1 II to fondle. Maybe you'll have an epiphany like I did, or maybe you'll decide you prefer the lighter weight and slightly smaller size of the E-M5. But recommending one of these two over the other without that tactile feedback is difficult.

I personally have been tempted to upgrade to the E-M1 II or III for the new sensor, but I just haven't loved the fully articulating screen on any camera I've had with one. So I'm sticking with the old, reliable E-M1 for now. I did recently pick up a GM5 to scratch the itch to try something new.

- K

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
I would have to learn something new, which could be an interesting experience (and also having a second set of batteries) I would not mind having another M4/3 camera than an Olympus. Here a Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 body costs $840. I have never read a comparison between a GX9 and an Olympus EM-5 Mark III. The EM-5 is much pricier of course.

I own a Panasonic Lumix LX7 but its major drawback for me is the lack of EVF and of course no interchangeable lenses.
Re: second set of batteries
Both the E-M5 Mark lll and the E-M1 Mark ll take batteries different from the original E-M5 –– and they don't share batteries, either. Your choices along the axis of battery sharing are the Pen-F, the E-M5 Mark ll and the original E-M1.

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
Lots of great replies already. The thoughts I might add, ymmv:

1. I love my m5.3, but I make use of the pdaf chasing the dog and local hawks around in caf mode. The ibis is better than my old m10.3 ibis.
2. I enjoyed my old m10.3 but was nervous in the rain where I am not now with the m5.3, and the m10.2 would not have solved that.
3. I actually like my ancient pm1 as a complement to the m5.3, if I were into street photography or mostly indoor people photos I might look at a used pen F or a pl10 with silent shutter. While I miss an evf, I've learned to deal with it mostly, and I enjoy the different user experience. A tilting or flip out screen would go a long way for me.

Good luck on your search/ decision, they are all great cameras and it's hard to go wrong.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It seems so, but if I decide to import my camera from Amazon, and it costs $1000 (the EM-5 Mark III and the EM-1 Mark II have the same $1000 price) what could be the drawback of the EM-1 Mark II over the EM-5 Mark III apart from being a little heavier and a bit bigger or the advantages of the EM5-mk3 over the EM1-mk2?

Is the more recent EM5-mk3 an upgrade over the older "pro" EM1-mk2?

But, between the EM5-mk3 and the EM1-mk2, I would go with the EM1-mk2. But that is just personal preference.
  • The EM1-mk2 has a larger capacity battery.
    • Depending on the lens you use, that can make a difference.
      • If you use a power sucking lens, it will make a difference.
      • Example, the 12-100 will last about 2-1/2 hours on my EM1-mk1 (this was an unexpected and unpleasant surprise), but on my EM1-mk2, it goes up to about 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 hours.
    • The EM5 series have a battery similar in capacity to the EM1-mk1. IOW, not as large as the EM1-mk2 (and mk3).
  • I like the larger grip of the EM1 cameras.
    • The grip makes it easier to hold the camera with one hand, and have the other hand shading the lens from the sun, or holding a flash above my head, etc.
I don't know enough about the EM5-mk3 to comment more on the differences between them.

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
Me personally, I chose the m5.3 over the m5.2 for pdaf. That doesn't seem like a strong factor for the OP. The newer ibis might be though, it's eliminated tripods for most things for me, before getting the camera I had no idea it was that good. 20 mpx isn't a selling point for me, but may be for the OP.

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
A friend of mine owns an E-M5 Mark II, and it has this nice and sturdy and solid feel.
I also like the fast autofocus/ IQ images/ lightweight
The E-M5 was my first encounter with an EVF and I quite like it over the OVF. I would like my new camera to have even a better/larger EVF than my E-M5.

Mostly what I do today: street photography, family photos, portraits, travel photography, and my daughter's interior design projects. I do not shoot sport/fast-action photography.

Personal opinion: spend less and get the E-M5.ii, and take any savings and get yourself a lens that you have been hankering after anyway. You can get a decent zoom telephoto or longer lens of some sort, or a more standard zoom. Or possibly a couple different lenses and a nice leather case or whatever. Or some entirely different piece of gear.

Or save the money and go for a trip (when allowed...).

You'll like the E-M5.ii, it has that feel you like. It has enough improvements and new features for you to experiment and enjoy. You won't have the absolute latest and greatest but it doesn't sound like those particular features are ones you feel you need.

If in time you decide you want to dispose of one of them and move on, you'll have spent less to start with. I think you'll get more use out of a new/additional lens than a higher-end body.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Since you seem to be so fixated on the solid "feel" of the camera, @JVgiar , it seems to me that you should chose the E-M1.2 over the E-M5.3. Myself, I prefer the smaller size. If you got an E-M5.2 instead, you'd be giving up performance and features for the "feel." This seems wrong-headed to me. They do actually improve cameras over a period of years, you know... :)

JVgiar

New to Mu-43
Since you seem to be so fixated on the solid "feel" of the camera, @JVgiar , it seems to me that you should chose the E-M1.2 over the E-M5.3. Myself, I prefer the smaller size. If you got an E-M5.2 instead, you'd be giving up performance and features for the "feel." This seems wrong-headed to me. They do actually improve cameras over a period of years, you know... :)

I indeed like the "solid feel" but also prefer a small size and light body and I have no problem giving up a bit of this solid feel for an improved performance.

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
I don't have any experience with the E M10 Mark III, but I've really enjoyed my M10 Mark II. I would suggest saving a bit of cash and just look for a good M10 Mark II. Save the difference for something that will give you more benefit such as a good lens.

I currently use the E M5 Mark II for my primary body, and frequently carry the M10 Mark II so I can leave the 40-150 Pro on the E M5 and use the E M10 with the 12-40 Pro or one of my prime lenses.

Unless my camera is mounted on a tripod or monopod, I always consider having the optional grip attached mandatory. I find both the E M10 and E M5 are much better in my hands with the grip. I also have the battery grip for the E M5, but don't use it as frequently.

BUT....I agree that if you want to spend the money, consider the E M1 Mark II. That idea is floating around in my head. That may be something for Santa to consider (along with my birthday in January) as I really don't want to sell the E M10 Mark II as I love it, and it's predecessor, the E10 Mark ! is the camera that really helped me to learn about photography (along with getting some better lenses)!

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Following @scb Steve, I have a grip on my EM10-mk2, and it has never come off.
The EM10 is so much easier to handle, for me, with the grip on.
But I could take the grip off, if I want to make the EM10 more compact.

Would I do same with the EM5, probably, then the EM5 becomes more bulky, and closer to the EM1.
But you can remove the add-on grip from the EM5.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This topic is perennial here. The consensus seems to be this:

If you want a second body as a toy, buy whatever toy you want.

If you want a second camera to do actual work, for example two bodies with two focal length lenses for weddings, wildlife, etc. where lens changing is impossible, then they should both be identical or nearly identical with programming set to identical as well. When the leopard walks toward you, there's not time to figure out settings and features as you grab the second body with the shorter zoom. Identical bodies also means fewer batteries and chargers to carry. I carry two Gx8s.

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
If you want a superb weather resistant built-like-a-tank :) body at a great price check out the Panasonic G9. I have one in addition to my Olympus OM-10 and love it. Right now they are selling for $999. Great price.

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
Following @scb Steve, I have a grip on my EM10-mk2, and it has never come off.
The EM10 is so much easier to handle, for me, with the grip on.
But I could take the grip off, if I want to make the EM10 more compact.

Would I do same with the EM5, probably, then the EM5 becomes more bulky, and closer to the EM1.
But you can remove the add-on grip from the EM5.
I came from Nikon to a EM5-3 a bit more then a year ago, and added the Olympus grip to the em5. It’s a very nice grip, and it has never come off.

With hindsight the EM1-3 (if it had been released when I was moving) would have been the better option. I will never again buy a cam without a reasonably decent grip built in.

So when I put the em5 on a tripod, it’s screwed into the grip. Big heavy lenses have their own tripod mount. All in all it’s a very nice cam.

And as stated in the post above. Consider the Panasonic G9. Here it’s sold new for 970 euro’s.
Camera is more bulky, heavier. But with a good grip, a joystick for focus etc.
I’m considering one myself, a bit worried though that Panasonic has a follow up in their sleeves, to pull out when market conditions (covid) improve, and to game other cam manufacturers

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom