1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Recommendation for a friend

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DaninFLA, Aug 10, 2015.

1. DaninFLA

DaninFLA Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    Dan
    Hello, been a while since I posted here, and was hoping to get some help for a friend. I have a EM10 with a few lenses, but I haven't taken my 25mm / 1.4 in a long time. I have a friend who is having a baby in a few months. he asked me the standard "what do you think we need for the baby" question. I gave him the regular answers, but I also said he should buy a good camera for taking pictures of the baby. I see so many friends that only take pictures of their kids with their phones and I think its sad. you are going to want to some nice pictures that you can print out and save. this generation with their phones is gonna be upset down the road when they don't have anything.

anyway, back on topic. I want to recommend a few options for him, with total price ranges in the $200 to $500 total range. I was thinking of some m43 cameras, but also some of the higher end non lens removable. basic requirements will be a pretty fast lens for low light, added bonus is wifi connectivity. I use that on my EM10 all the time to pull off pictures onto my ipad and post to facebook, etc.

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If you want to stay m43, I'd look for one of those EPM2 with kit lens deals they have floating about for $200-$300. They probably won't need much more than that for a year, to be honest.

If they want something more self contained, a used Fuji X10 or X20 with the 28-110mm f/2-2.8 lenses are pretty darn good too.

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    https://www.mu-43.com/threads/79002/

The listing is ending very soon, it's regularly $299. But this deal is $269. It's a place to start and fine option to start. Add a 14mm for a near pocket option.

E-PL6 kit

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DaninFLA

DaninFLA Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    Dan
    that Fuji x10 might be a good option. you can get a used one in very good condition from amazon for around $275. f/2.0 is pretty good.

the PM2 and the other PL6 link provided are fine cameras, but I don't think they would be happy with the slow kit lens. trying to get him something that will be better in low light.

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Any m43 camera is good, including EP1:

http://robinwong.blogspot.it/2015/08/rewind-olympus-pen-e-p1.html

I'd go for the E-PM2, E-PL5 generation if you want wifi (IIRC). As a lens I'd go for a (used?) Oly 45/1.8. And a basic (pragmatic) book/course about photography...
    There is no point is spending more, IMO.

Fixed lens cameras are usually quite expensive in comparison (considering sensor size, etc.). Fuji X10 sensor is 2/3 inches. There are probably two stops of noise difference from a m43 camera.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Should have added. For a fixed lens I would look at version 1 or 2 of the RX100.

7. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2013
    Cambridge, MA
    Daniel
    One requirement to add: fast AF. My nephew(around 18 months) is unbelievably hard to photograph. Constantly moving.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've been down this road a few times and unless they specifically asked for camera advice, you are wasting your time.

That said, any recent m4/3 body with a 25mm 1.8 would be ideal.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DaninFLA

DaninFLA Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    Dan
    they are interested in a new setup after I brought it up. believe me, I know what you are talking about.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DaninFLA

DaninFLA Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    Dan
    I think im going to recommend an older Rx100 or the Fuji X10. decent range in prices for him to consider. if he is interested in interchangeable I will recommend on of the m43 bodies and fast prime

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Skip the Fuji. One simple word, Video.

A new born and new camera between those options, pick the one that has better video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. deacon

deacon Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2015
    Deacon
    My two cents as a father of an infant and a toddler: I was planning on getting an RX100 for a long time, until my family took a vacation at a lake. So many shots were further away than that lens would have allowed (son and grandpa on paddle boat, etc). A standard zoom is okay for babies that pretty much just lay there, but I knew I'd have to supplement it once they really start running around, playing sports, etc. The flexibility of M4/3 won out, and I got a GM1 as video was the other deciding factor.

13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer