1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Recommendation - E-P5 half leather case

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by pdk42, Feb 26, 2014.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hi all,

I recently bought a half leather case from this vendor on e-Bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/jasoncui2

I'm really, really pleased with it. It's great quality - a solid metal base 2-3mm thick, genuine leather outer, suede/velvet liner, chunky brass mounting screw with a tripod socket underneath, and, a really neat folding-door so that the battery and memory card can be accessed without removing the case. Shipping was really fast too - less than a week from Hong Kong to the UK. I even received a matching leather wrist strap as an unexpected gift. I've never had a Gariz case to compare, but I've got absolutely no complaints about the quality of this one - and it's half the price!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    What benefit is gained from a metal base? My instinct would direct me to leather case, no metal meaning less weight (mass).

3. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's aluminium I think, so doesn't add much weight. It's not heavy. I guess the logic is to provide a non-flexing base that won't flop around - basically so that it's an extension of the camera. Since it's a half case, this is a risk I guess if it were made from leather only.

4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Ok I get that, a stiff base should help it retain its shape, including the sides.

5. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Did you get the one with the opening for the battery and sd card?

6. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes I did. It works very well. Fit is tight and when closed it's flush. The pop-stud catch that keeps it closed is ok, but a magnetic system would be neater. I might suggest that to the vendor (Jason BTW - who is very polite and delivers great service).

7. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    That is a nice looking item! I am tempted to buy it ;)

8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    This one on the Bay has caught my eye, it looks the job:
    NEW CIESTA Genuine Leather Half Case Body Jacket for OLYMPUS E-P5 EP5, £38.95

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261351188763

(I'm not sure how much protection a '1/2 case' offers, given more than 50% of the camera is unprotected - through necessity of course.)

9. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes - I looked at that too. Looks good.

As to protection of a half-case - I went for it since I could see slight scratches appearing on the base of my silver E-P5 due to putting it down on hard surfaces. The half-case fixes that problem. It also improves the grip a little - although that wasn't the primary reason I bought it.

10. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    So soon, not good, but the case will help.
    The description in the link I posted isn't clear to me, perhaps for others too. It's in Chin'lish and they talk about an improvement showing a screw to interface to the tripod mount, but it's not clear to me how the screw is accessed. I've fired off an email enquiry for an explanation.

11. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Don't know about the CIESTA case, but on the one I bought the case is attached to the camera using the camera's tripod boss. The screw that's used is an oversized brass one with another tripod boss inside it - basically, it means you can mount the camera+case onto a tripod. The screw is a good quality item.

12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I bought the OEM version for the E-P5, and while the fit and finish is really good, I hate having to take it off (coin required) to change batteries/cards. So it stays on my desk, only going on if I take the E-P5 out alone for a day trip... not very often. I've been tempted to hit it with an xacto
    blade...

13. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I use this one, too. I can generally get it off with a fingernail if I don't happen to have a coin with me. I agree, it's a pain to take off to access card and battery.

I really liked the original E-P1 version. It had a top cover and the bottom half was a friction fit so it wasn't hard to remove for access to the card and battery. Wish this one was like the E-P1 version, or at least had a top. I've been using the Olympus camera wrap to cover the camera.

14. I'm considering something like this for both my E-P5 and E-M5, primarily to make each camera a little taller and give me a better grip.