Recommend sunction and clamp mounts

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by CaptainD, Nov 11, 2011.

1. CaptainD

CaptainD Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    I have a GH2 and plan to record some flights in a small single engine aircraft. One of the methods that I've seen used to mount the camera is a clamp mount on one of the head rests and an articulating arm attached to the clamp so the camera is in the center and more elevated. The other way I've seen is using a suction cup mount on one of the side windows. In the videos that I've seen usually don't mention the brand or model used.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for both solutions? I'm looking for something sturdy and good quality, but also a good value. I don't need something that's very expensive and movie quality.

2. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I can't recommend any suction mounts, but for a clamp, you might take a look at the Manfrotto Super Clamp. It's a very ingenius, well made piece of hardware.

Manfrotto Super Clamp with 2908 Standard Stud - Super Clamps

I carry one along with a couple of different studs and a ball head for mounting a camera just about anywhere (for instance, mounting a second camera to a tripod leg). Manfrotto has all kinds of fittings and arms for use with the Super Clamp. You should be able to rig up something.

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Plus one for the Manfrotto Super Clamp. Sounds like you have something similar to the Magic Arm:

4505562808_10432bdde1_b.
    Ricoh GX-100, Manfrotto Super Clamp and Magic Arm, Piaggo MP3 by john m flores, on Flickr

How much vibration do you experience in the cockpit? I've seen rigs that use multiple Super Clamps and Magic Arms to triangulate. The Panasonic 14/2.5 is a great lens for this application as it's relatively wide and ultra small/lightweight. That said, one of those 8mm lenses looks nice too.

4. CaptainD

CaptainD Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    That super clamp with the magic arm looks perfect. The vibrations are not too bad. I'm considering the Panny 14mm lens, but I'm not sure if it wide enough to capture the outside and panel/pilot. I'm looking to go with a 12mm or wider.

Thanks for the advice on the clamp and arm, that looks perfect and I'm going to get that.

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    There's also this Rokino 7.5mm fisheye:

Rokinon 7.5 mm f/3.5 Ultra Wide-Angle Fisheye Lens FE75MFTB B&H

Just remember that the wider you go the farther the horizon will be, as well as anything of interest outside the cockpit.

If you wanted to, you can also connect an external EVF via HDMI so you can monitor what's being recorded. I've also had luck with AC power as well as a 5000mAH external battery.