1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Recommend Minolta MD mount (or M42) wide-ish angle zoom?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by DeeJayK, Jul 17, 2012.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I recently picked up a Minolta MD (SR mount) tilt adapter for my Rokkor 50/1.4, and I'm finding that I'd like to have a wider lens to play with the tilt effect. At first I considered a wider Rokkor like the 28mm f/2.8, but then I thought that maybe a zoom would better suit my needs. I don't expect to be doing much tilt work in low light, so I think I can get away with a slowish lens, and I really don't want to spend over $75. I also have an M42-to-MD adapter so I could also use an M42 if you can think of any that fit my criteria.

It seems like the Rokkor 35-70 f/3.5 is maybe the "best" of the MD zooms in this range, but I'm not sure it's quite wide enough for what I want. Maybe I need to look toward something like the 24-50? I know that third-party lens designers also made some decent lenses, e.g. I've read good things about a Vivitar Series 1 28-70 (I think), and I'm open to considering them.

In short, which wide-ish (actually more like normal-tele) MD (or M42) zooms have you been satisfied with?

2. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with ANY Minolta SR-mount wide-ish zoom that they can share?

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I get the sense that what we consider competent modern zooms only came in with computerized lens design, which more or less happened after AF lenses. So don't hold out hope too much...

4. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not really looking for fully competent....halfway competent would be enough for me. I'm really only going to use it for tilt work, and only for my own amusement, so I'm not looking for Leica-quality.

I'm tempted to just buy this Minolta 24-50 f/4, but I was hoping that someone might have some experience to share before I plunk down my credit card.

5. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I used to own the 24-50. Lovely lens on 35mm, never tried it on M4/3 as it's such an odd equivalent FL. You may find it a little heavy, but then again for your intended use I suppose that doesn't really matter.

There may be some information on it on The Rokkor Files.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I bought a Soligar 28~80 MD zoom BNIB from Ebay for $15!!
    Nice lens, it is a little heavy but if you hold it by the lens ,no problem.
    I also have the Rokkor 28mmF2.8 that I use the most
    I guess to get a really wide for m4/3 you would have to get a 17 0r something but they are pricey, might as well get a native lens. Unless I want the wide look I just shoot a pano with the 28mm.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gscara

gscara Mu-43 Regular

Minolta MD 35-70mm f3.5

When Leica went shopping for zoom technology in the early 80's, they developed a close relationship with Minolta and re-badged a number of Minolta zooms as Leica zooms. Today these old Leica zooms command hundreds of dollars used on Ebay, whereas the Minolta zooms, are largely ignored.

I enjoyed using the Minolta 35-70mm f3.5 lens as a versatile portrait lens. I sold the lens to a friend who uses it extensively for Videos on his GH2. His tests have confirmed that this lens is sharper than other manual zoom lens in his possesion.

You will find some great write ups on the Minolta lens line at the DigitalRokkor site. The 24-50mm lens was always highly regarded, and while large by today's standards, will provide excellent results for your use. The KEH price for the bargain lens makes it a no brainer.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    I would recommend the Minolta brand. I don't have a Minolta zoom, but I do use various Minolta lens. I found a Sigma 28-70 zoom cheap on Ebay, didn't think I'd like it; but it takes great pictures. I carry it in by bag almost all the time although I don't use it much. You could purchase something like this and see if it meets your needs. Then get the better Minolta later. Here is a picture of my lens on my G2 and another one taken with the lens, straight out of the camera.

P1010882_rszd_crp_adj1.

1110993_Sigma_rzd.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah I've been looking around for some sort if dirt cheap off-brand zoom. No luck so far, but I'll keep looking. I'm trying to hold off on the KEH lens until I sell some other junk I've got lying around.

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Incorrect. It happened about a decade before the advent of AF lenses, ... Mor or less.