1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Recommend me a u43 body

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DrLazer, Mar 5, 2015.

1. DrLazer

DrLazer Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2011
    Sheffield, UK
    Hi everyone. Not been here in a while!

I want to get my mittens on a u43 body because I miss the ones I owned previously. And FF SLRs don't half give you neckache. So I am willing to comprimise on one or two pointers, but I'm looking for something cheap and secondhand that I can throw in my cycling jersey pocket and not worry about too much. What I would like is ......

- U4/3 (obv)
    - built in EVF
    - pop up flash
    - RAW
    - really cheap

• Like Like x 1
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Define "really cheap"?

Its different from person to person....

G1 is pretty darn cheap these days.... but its 1st generation product. Is that "too cheap"?

Yet to others...

EM5 used at around $500USD is also considered cheap? Is that "not cheap enough"?

3. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I don't know how big a cycling jersey pocket is, but it sounds small. I think you are pretty limited if you want one of the smallest bodies with a built in EVF and flash and cheap. I'm not sure that camera exists. The mini pens don's have built in EVF or pop up flash. The GM1 and GM5 have one but not the other. The GX7 and EM-10 may not be small enough for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    GX7 is your closest bet. Especially now since the succesor is to come out quickly...

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Gx7 if you can afford one, G5 for half the price used.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As a former cyclist, I can't imagine I'd want ANY of these cameras in a jersey pocket. I'd probably be shopping for an RX100 and a wet bag to store it in.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    This. Mark III if you want an EVF.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

After you Quoted me, I realized I made a key typo. I meant to say "I can't imagine...."

9. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I am a cyclist (at least I like to ride) and have a GM1. I think with the kit lens it's the best option for you although it doesn't have the evf. Otherwise it's a fantastic little camera with great image quality and is as small as you can get. You can also get a decent price on it now. Whether it works in your jersey may in part depend on what kind of cycling you're doing. For a fast club ride, I wouldn't want to have it (or anything that shape and weight including the RX100) in my jersey pocket. For a more casual ride or touring, maybe.

I generally don't like to have much in my jersey pockets other than maybe an energy bar and my phone when I ride on the road. I've been thinking about getting one of the small triathlon-oriented top-tube bags (http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/tri_drybag_2) and padding the bottom to make it easier to take the GM1 on my road bike. I do frequently take my GM1 on mountain bike rides, just putting it in my hydration pack.

10. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Does m4/3s actually have a camera with both built-in flash and VF?

11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    It's on my counter as we speak. EM10. And don't the Panasonic G series and GH series both have both? Oh, and GX7.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mu-43 mobile app

12. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    If you're not including the SLR style bodies, of which there are many that do, I believe the GX7 is the only one.

13. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    If the OP wants a m43 camera, I agree that this would be the best option. I think this would even be pushing it for a jersey pocket, though I can't stand riding with sagging pockets so YMMV

14. freyr

freyr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    Bulgaria
    Angel
    Hi guys & girls,
    Sorry for hitchhiking on a previous topic, but I'm facing a tough call. Me and my SO will be travelling on vacation, so I thought it might be nice to get her a m4/3 camera to share lenses and generally get better results than from her point-and-shoot. It should probably be something small (so presumably no G series), simple, on the cheaper side, and 2nd hand as she will probably keep it in her purse (where it will no doubt get some battle scars) and if she decides that photography is not her "thing", I might keep it as a second body and not regret spending too much money.
    I've looked at E-P1 and E-P2, E-PL1 and 2, etc. but there seems to be more Panasonics being sold recently in my area. GF2s and GH2s.. there is a GF3 with its touch screen not working (you can see everything, it's the "touch" part that doesn't work) for 45 EUR.. I really don't know.. If all else fails I might just give her my old Nex 5, but I bought it long ago for MF lenses only and don't want to invest in another kit zoom..
    What are your thoughts?

15. Pete8888

Pete8888 New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2013
    Ricoh GR.

16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, if 45 euros is the sort of price you're looking to spend, then there aren't too many options! If you've got more to spend, then I'd go for an E-PM2 or E-PL5. They can be had for pretty low prices these days but they use the latest 16Mp Sony sensors. IQ is usually very good from them (as long as you avoid shutter shock).

17. freyr

freyr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    Bulgaria
    Angel
    Well.. I'm not saying 45.. But 130..150 EUR tops. I didn't even check the e-pm series, I'll read into it. Thanks!

18. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    You can get a GF3 in perfect working condition for 85 EUR, see:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-LUMIX-GF3-WHITE-BLANC-CAMERA-NU-BODY-/131453833552
    They a not a bad little camera, particularly for someone coming from a point and shoot - one of the smallest around before the GM series was released. If all else fails put it in iA mode and it behaves like a p&s. I bought my 13 year old daughter one, and with that and the Panasonic 14-42 mkII she does pretty well.