Recommend me a tripod

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by JayShiva, Nov 13, 2011.

1. JayShiva

JayShiva Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Yarm, UK
    I'm looking to upgrade my cheap aluminium tripod to a nicer, sturdier carbon fibre one.

Manfrotto seem to have a pretty decent name around the place, but I want opinions! There's such a dizzying selection of heads and whatnot available, I'm beyond confused!

Saw this on Jessops' website, seems like a decent reduction; but is it a bargain or not?

Manfrotto Carbon Fibre Tripod + 3-way QR Head - 732CY-A3RC1 - Jessops - Tripods

Let me know!

I want the tripod for landscapes, night shots and a little bit of astro (nothing major though!)

Thanks in advance,

James :thumbup:

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
  3. JayShiva

JayShiva Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Yarm, UK
    I need something more sturdy; my aluminium one is an old cheapy, that ain't the most secure thing in the world!

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm very happy with my Benro C2691T. One of the legs screws off and makes a monopod. It came with a perfectly adequate for m4/3 ball head.

I also have a big Gitzo from my 35mm days so I know a good tripod. The Benro is so nice and light and easy to carry. It's plenty stiff for m4/3 use and I actually like the monopod. I bought a tilt head to go on the monopod. :2thumbs:

5. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    If you're just looking for a better tripod, you don't need to go to carbon fibre! A perfectly adequate rig (especially for something as light as m43 gear) is something like the Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod legs with a head of your choice. I know, because I still have my old 190 PRO with a Manfrotto ballhead that I use as backup to my carbon fibre setup. The little Manfrotto is good enough for professional-grade DSLR gear (i.e. heavy cameras and lenses :smile: ).

If you want to go to carbon fibre, I would strongly recommend Gitzo. I have looked at them all, and even the best Manfrotto CF tripods don't hold a candle to the Gitzo models. Neither do the other brands. Although all of them will be better than what you have now, you should really compare CF tripods with each other, not with older aluminium gear. Gitzo make the best CF tripods right now. Unfortunately they know it and charge accordingly.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2 on Benro. Probably 90% performance of a Gitzo at half the price.

I hate hate hate 3way heads. Ballhead is so much better.

7. G1user

G1user Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2011
    Oldham UK
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If your looking for a super sturdy aluminum tripod, check out the BENBO, not to be confused with the Chinese Benro brand. The BENBO is a very unique tripod in that it can be set up on the side of a mountain, the legs and center column can be individually set to angles independent of each other. Also the larger diameter leg is on the bottom providing a lower center of gravity and a much more rigid platform. :2thumbs:

Benbo Camera Tripods from Paterson Photographic

9. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia

Definitely lighter and easier to use and carry (they are usually more compact than tripods with comparable weight ratings). Their weight ratings are VERY conservative, too. I am not sure if they are stronger than the competition, but they are definitely of higher quality and inspire more confidence. That said, it's not like some of the competition would be easy to break, I suspect they would also be tough. But that feeling of quality and confidence that I have in my Gitzo, I have yet to experience it with another brand (and I wish I could, I would have preferred to purchase a cheaper alternative, believe me!).

Yep, Benbo tripods are outstanding, but they are also unbelievably heavy! Which is not always bad for a tripod to be, as long as it's not a tripod you want to hike with. :smile:

10. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    IMO the tripod is important, the differences are mostly in the weight - for the same carrying power (the lighter the more expensive). However, from my own experience I suggest you invest in a good ball-head (good means fast and easy to reposition, with enough holding power for your gear). If you forecast using only a m4/3 setup, look up this one Manfrotto Joystick ball hitch Junior 324 RC 2: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    (link is from UK because as my homecountry is in the EU, I prefer not to buy from amazon.com due to import taxes)

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If I was going to burn Gitzo-level money on a tripod, I think I would go with the Really Right Stuff tripod.

12. Benro user because I can't yet afford a RRS. RRS has a new compact sized tripod coming out. Might be the right size for mu43 with their 25 or 30 ballhead.

13. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    How cheap (quality-wise) is your current tripod and exactly how much better do you want? I use a Velbon Ultra VOXi L that's pretty sturdy, folds very compact, has a reversible column, and extends very high. It's not rated to hold up tons of weight, and it's made of aluminum instead of carbon fiber, but it's more than enough for a u4/3 system. Here it is with a GF1+20mm/f1.7 and a Slik ballhead.

• Like Like x 1
  14. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
  15. Under the assumption that properly cf fabricated tubes transmit less vibration than aluminum? Bit of weight savings and a bit less cold to the touch on those blustery days.

16. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I have a Velbon El Carmagne 640 carbon fiber tripod with an Acratech Ultimate ballhead which I have been using for several years with my DSLR kit. I've been quite happy with it, as have others:

Velbon El Carmagne 640 Review

Acratech Modified Velbon 630

For use with a m43 kit, I think I'd like a smaller tripod, and may try the Ultra Voxi that Fastcorner has recommended. If the quality is anything like the El Carmagne, it should be more than adequate.

17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, but isn't weight ALWAYS a concern for us? I mean, unless you're in a studio, you have to transport this thing to the site. The weight difference IME is pretty dramatic.

x2 on the vibration damping.

I have been impressed as hell with my Benro. Folds up small, light, sturdy, (OK, could be better when the center column is extended, but from what I read, that's a problem on all tripods) and IMHO reasonably priced, especially if you get one of the Transfunctional versions and get a tripod and monopod in one.

18. linkedit

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    My tripod legs weigh 4 lbs. A cf Gitzo Explorer (similar size) weighs the same. The OP's tripod legs weigh 2 lbs lighter. Not much of a difference. I don't hike around in the woods, so weight isn't really that much of a concern.

I'm sure that the cf legs dampen vibration very well. Though I've been shooting with aluminum tripods for maybe 30 years, they've always worked fine. For me the extra $$$ isn't worth it.

19. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    TravelAngel is 2.5 lbs with head - less than half the weight you guys are talking about.

If I'm shlepping it around all over the world, I'll take every inch and pound I can get

20. linkedit

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    I'll take the other 2 pounds and save $200.