1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Recommend me a portable tripod?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by timothysoong, Nov 20, 2011.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I've never had a tripod and now planning to get one as I'm more into video shooting and most of it needs a tripod to keep the video stabilized.

Not sure about the price range.

I would want one which is very portable, as Id want to carry it with me every where I go. And of course I'd expect lots of quality/performance from the tripod.

Edit: I wish it to be as light as possible. :)

Tim

2. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave

209-1 by CapoDave, on Flickr

I got the Manfrotto 209 LONG with the 492 micro ball head.
    It's a tabletop but extends to 18". It fits in the side compartment of my Lowepro Flipside 200. Small and lightweight and very sturdy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Seems like a very portable tripod but it says "table top" does it mean its suppose to be on top of a table? I need a tripod which is portable yet it can stand on the floor. Probably of the height 25inches above.. and the tripod needs to be swivelable, so I can tilt it to any angle when needed.

4. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I picked up the Velbon UT-43D tripod and like it quite a bit... pretty stable for the weight and it breaks down to a very small size. It was the most compact, packable option I could find that was fairly sturdy and went to full height.

Here's a review:
    Velbon Ultrek UT 43D Tripod Review

• Like Like x 1
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There's several threads already, look around to get more opinions.

My vote is for Benro Travel Angel in CF. Collapsed length 14", weight <2 lbs, comes with a decent ballhead.

7. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    I agree with tc. I have the Travel Angel in aluminum, which works great with the E-P1 and on my motorcycle.

8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    the longer the legs, the less sturdy id imagine
    so if you want long legs, you want high quality == $$$ and ###

9. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Which Travel Angel in CF are you talking about that collapsed into 14" and weight <2lbs. I couldnt seem to find it on the official site nor bhphotovideo.

10. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Is there a difference between the Velbon Ultrek UT 43D and the 43DL, cause I could only find the 43DL in my country?

11. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
  12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    C069M8

Here's the legs. Since they flip over, the head doesn't add to the folded length:
    Benro C-069M8 Travel Angel Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs 455-069 B&H

It looks like they might not be available any more.

13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I like the Ultrapod II. It's sturdy and the velcro strap is very handy (wrapped it on just about anything).

28979d07-b9cf-473b-b01e-866e2483b39f.

14. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Velbon Ultra VOXi L
    Similiar to the Benro Travel Angel, but a little lighter and a lot cheaper. Slik ball head sold separately.

[​IMG]

15. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Okay I found several DL ones and I couldn't identify if it belongs to the L or D.

Here's the link I found on a local store of mine:
    S?--²BnBKOBw

Check out the pictures and let me know if its the 43D. If it is, Imma buy it.

Thanks

16. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Your picture does look like the 43D and I also found the following ebay listing with the same part number and it does sound like the ball head version. Not sure what the "DL" is all about.

Velbon Ultrek 43DL / UT43D Compact Tripod Kit FAST SHIP | eBay

I was also looking at their REXi L and the reviews I read said this was more stable (thicker legs). I ended up going with the 43D, though, because if the reduced weight (just a bit) and even smaller break down size. I couldn't find any other full size tripod that collapsed down to 12". I am sure there are some stability tradeoffs here, but I am happy that I can throw this tripod in even my smallest bag.

REXi L:
    Velbon - REXi L

17. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I love this little tripod also. I always have it in my backpack, just because it is so small and light.

Did you try the velcro extension yet?

18. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I now decided to get the Velbon ULTRA REXI L but the problem now is thinking which head to get. Or as a beginner I'd not need a head? Any advice?

19. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    If you're using it primarily for photography, the ball head will be much easier and quicker to set up.