Recommend me a 135mm-ish lens

tam

Mu-43 Regular
So I had a 135/2.8 nikon fit soligor, but time was not kind to it, and it's now stuck wide open :-(

I'd quite like to replace it with something of similar length. For my purposes it's a good length to get a cyclist filling the frame at about 10-15m. Fast is good, as shooting moving riders in forests with poor lighting can be challenging.

Cheap is good too.

Any suggestions? Pics of suggested lenses mounted on u4/3 and sample images all welcome.

tam

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks. I see you have a G1 and that lens - how's the handling like with it on?

Oh, and I'm in the UK if anyone happens to be selling anything suitable, or have suggestions other than "ebay" for cheap lens sources.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I'll triple the Rokkor suggestion. They are simply excellent and, at the moment, very under-rated and going quite cheaply for mint condition lenses. I've got a 135mm f2.8 in mint condition in its leather case for about $80, an absolute bargain in my view. Once people start to realise the quality of these Minolta lenes, the prices will rise.

Cheers

Ray

chefkenny

Mu-43 Regular
Agree, I got mines off craigslist : 35/2.8 and 135/2.8 for $45 shipped. Both came with case too.
The Hexanon Ar 135/3.2 also simply amazing too, and it is cheap.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I just had a look a craigslist. That is the weirdest site I've ever tried to negotiate. You can't just search for items worldwide, you have to drill down to your exact location and then be quite specific about what you want. Am I missing something?

Cheers

Ray

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I second the Canon FD 135/2.5. Very nice, and pretty cheap. I buy most of my stuff on eBay - I agree that Craigslist is incredibly quirky and not very user-friendly, the search is at the whim of people posting their stuff, and the prices aren't all that competitive for the most part. I've gotten much better deals off eBay.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Nikkor 135/3.5 In AI or AIS mount goes for not too much, and is a real gem. Small and Light. I believe it is the only surviving Sonnar formula lens in the Nikon line-up that made it into the 1980s.

chefkenny

Mu-43 Regular
OzRay

I just put camera under the search on my local craigslist and filtered out what I want and also try to see if I can have a look of the item. But some time I just ask them to send me the pictures and made the deal with price. About 3 years ago when I use Sony system I bought lots of good minolta lenses ( 100mm f2, 200mm f4 g Macro,24-70 G, 100-400 APO,135/2.8, and beer cans and lots of good prime ) for great price. I sold all of them and jump to Canon, the money I made from the different by selling those Minolta lenses also good enough to cover me on my 5D,1ds and 1d2 and lenses.

With some luck you can really found great deal on craigslist, most of the time they don't know what they are selling, I pickup my Minolta 24-70 G with a Maxxum for $100 3 yrs ago :biggrin: and I pick up a Mamiya 21/4,Vivitar ( Cosina 50/1.9) and a No brand 400/5.6 with a vivitar 420sl all for $35 yesterday.

Latest threads

Top Bottom