1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

recommend m43 cam next to gf1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by danieru, Jan 12, 2012.

1. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    I own a gf1 and although I'm happy with it I'm looking for a camera to have next to it with a little more oomph.
    The camera needs to have built in lvf and needs to be fast enough in low light conditions in other words be able to shoot with high iso without too much noise and it needs to be a panasonic m43, because of the lenses that I currently have.
    Should I go for the g3 or the gh2?

2. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    See , u have almost found your answer by short listing to these two. I am using G3 n found it fantastic. I guess for performance gh2 is better but more expensive n slightly bigger. Your mola, your call.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    From what I've heard (I have no need to shop around for these cameras myself), the GH2 is now at the same price point as the G3. For the same money, I'd think the GH2 would be a no-brainer?

Of course neither you nor the OP are in my half of the world either, so there may be price differences... ;)

4. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    I was considering the g3 namely because of the price.
    At the moment the g3 body is selling for 430 euro and the cheapest gh2 sells for more than 700 euro.
    Don' t know whether the gh2's performance compared to the g3 justifies the price difference, if it's worth it I will wait and save some extra money to buy the gh2, otherwise I can pick up a g3 asap.

5. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    The biggest benefits of the GH2 over the G3 are the multi-aspect sensor, so you don't crop the image when shooting in 3:2 or 16:9, the EVF sensor, so you don't need to hit a button to switch between EVF and LCD, and much more video control.

If those matter to you, get the GH2, if they don't, get the G3. Image quality should be almost identical.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Do you plan on shooting video at all? If not, then it's probably not worth waiting on the GH2. If you are though, then even just the use of an external mic is enough to make the GH2 worthwhile in my eyes.

However, since you already have a GF1 then maybe you want your main camera to be the best of the best? The GH2 will hold its value better in the long run.

7. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    Video capability isn't that important to me it's nice to have the option though but not necessary.
    Main reason for an extra camera is to have a faster shooting camera, not for action shots but more for less optimum situations, like in low light, so I can still shoot decent pictures.
    With the gf1 I shoot pictures which are to dark, when there's movement people are unsharp, have a lot of noise because iso 800 or higher is needed to keep the shutter fast enough.
    I already have some fast primes but still the gf1 is too slow in certain situations, hence the search for a faster camera.
    After reading your recommendations/information, I think I will go for the g3, don't really need the video capabilities, should be fast enough and is a bit easier on the wallet.
    Thank you guys for your comments!

8. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    You could also consider trading the GF1 in for a GX1 - has the same sensor (and therefore low-light capabilities) as the G3 and you can get a very good EVF for it. Only thing you'd be missing is an articulating screen.

9. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I would go with whichever Panansonic shares the same battery as the GF-1. Less adapters and accessories to worry about.

Wait, I think that limits you to the G1 and GH1?

10. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    I don't think I'll be able to trade the gf1 for a gx1 and I didn't consider the camera because the gx1 is sold here for almost the same price as the gh2 and that's just the body, then I'd rather get the g3.
    Anyways I can find use for the gf1, I still think it's a great camera, just with some limitations.
    I'm not sure about the g1 or gh1, are they fast and able to do high iso without too much noise?

11. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    The GH1 has much better image quality than the G1, with lower noise throughout. It maintains good noise control into the higher ISOs, but there is some banding in the shadows at ISO 1600 and higher, so you will need to be careful, but even with that said, the image quality will be better than the G1 or your GF1. The G1 should be identical to your GF1 in image quality.

12. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    Thanks for the info, in that case I'll lookup gh1 prices, so now I'm back with two choices, depending on price either a g3 or a gh1

13. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    I looked up the price, it's priced between the gx1 and the gh2, so that makes it easier, I'm going for the g3

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I use a G1 alongside my gf1. I also tried a G3. The image quality was appreciably better with the G3, but in my hands the G3 actually FEELS more like the gf1 and I wanted my second camera to be kind of dedicated to longer lenses because I don't like the handling of the gf1 with longer lenses on it.

The G1 (and I assume the GH1 and GH2....I've never handled them) feels GREAT with that big chunky grip and I love the eye sensor that automatically turns on the EVF when I lift the camera to my eye. If you use longer lenses (it is ESSENTIAL for the 100-300) I would definitely NOT recommend the G3. But if IQ is the main concern, go for the G3 (although frankly if you do get the G3, you may not feel the need for the g1 anymore....they feel that similar to me.

Good luck with your choice.

15. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    Finally went for the g3, tried it out first in the store the handling feels great, love the grip, the swivel touchscreen is nice, the evf really makes a difference especially when mf'ing using a legacy lens like the canon fd 50mm f1.8, or when using outside when the sun is shining on the swivel screen.
    Pictures are great, much better quality than the gf1 when using higher iso, I can at least shoot up to iso 1600 without having picture quality degrade, gf1 iq at that iso isn't great, unless you're going for that grainy effect.
    Gf1 is great for a lot of situations where you can take the time for shooting a picture, the g3 in my opinion and in my short time playing with it is great in any situation.

16. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    I think GH2 with hacked firmware is the best option right now. I've seen a couple going for around 500-600 euro on eBay. It's amazing for video. For pictures only, I think I prefer a PEN with the in-body IS.