Recommend M42 mount lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by roguedog, May 30, 2014.

1. roguedog

roguedog Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2010
    I inherited my uncle's old Pentax camera and from reading on this forum found out I could use it on my Oly cameras. Researched what kind of adapter to use and all that and purchased one off ebay. Turns out that this ole Ashai SMC 55 takes the K mount so went and got one of those. Now i've got an extra M42 adapter and I'm finding I'm really enjoying playing with manual lenses. Really liking this lens too btw.

So.. now I thought I'd ask the collective wisdom of what lens to get next that might be able to use the M42 that I've got sitting around anyway.

2. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    The Asahi Pentax Takumars are pretty nice, my favorites were the 55mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.9. I like the older lenses with unique (sometimes funky) bokeh, here's a flicker thread where some of those lenses are discussed. One of my favorites from the ones discussed is the Helios 44 and it's many variants. They produce some unique 'swirly' bokeh.

If you haven't checked it out yet, do visit http://forum.mflenses.com/ - some of the members have positively arcane knowledge on mf glass. I used to be mad about m42 glass, but I've sold most of it since changing systems to mu-43 - the majority of m42 lenses (+ adapter) usually make the setup too bulky for my tastes.

3. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    I only have one m42 lens but thats the lens i would recommend: Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f2. Mine is the one with 17 aperture blades and the look and color i from it is nothing like my native m43 lenses.

The focal length works very well with m43 cams. (i use it with my EM5 and EPL1).

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    the biotar as suggested and the helios are the same optical formula btw. except you can get the helios at a cheaper price.

for m42, you can never go wrong with the cult classic 50m 1.4 pentax SMC/S-M-C/super takumar lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm f2.8 MC :)

But as darosk said above, pay a visit to the mflenses.com forums. Tonnes of information on all sorts of old lenses.

6. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
  7. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
  8. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Tons of info on Asahi Pentax Takumar lenses can be found here http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

I love the Pentax SMC K 55mm f1.8
    My favorites are :
    Pentax A 50mm f1.2
    Takumar SMC 85mm f1.8
    Takumar SMC 105mm F2.8
    Takumar SMC 35mm F3.5
    Pentax A 100mm F28
    Takumar SMC 135mm f2.5 6 elements version
    Takumar SMC 28mm f3.5
    Takumar SMC 24mm f3.5
    Takumar SMC 35mm f2.0
    Takumar/Pentax/A/K SMC 50mm F1.4
    And the bang for the bux:
    Macro Takumar SMC 50mm F4
    Macro Takumar SMC 100mm F4 both are superb even on digital m4/3

All in all, if you can find the more rare Pentax SMC K (not to be mistaken for Pentax-M K-mount) go for it. They have superb built quality like the SMC Takumar with a bayonet and will be free from the yellowing found on the two lenses Takumar 50mm F1.4 and 35mm F2.0

Basically the Pentax lenses have a beautiful rendering, very organic that is signature to them. They are not ultrasharp wide open. I'm gathering funds to buy a used Sony A7 to use them all just for fun!

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,
    PentaxForums has user reviews of most or all of the m42 lenses.
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Pentax-Takumar-M42-Screwmount-Lenses-i3.html

I have a bunch of my dad's; most of them were redundant with 4/3 lenses I already had so I'm selling them.

Since this isn't the 'for sale' forum, I won't post links to my ads here, but PM me if you want to buy any, or look in the for sale forum here; I'll post a list and link to some pics.

Barry

10. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Helios 44-3

Great character and a truly joyous lens to handle and use.