Recommend Flash Unit for G3?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by runner girl, Dec 19, 2011.

1. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    Can someone recommend a good and reasonably priced flash unit for my G3?

I see the Vivitar , Nissen and Opteka on
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    What are you looking for? Power, or small and light? I wanted small, so I bought a used Olympus FL-36. 100% compatible with all modes the Panasonic supports (e.g., no wireless), tilt and rotate (for tilt in portrait mode). I'm quite pleased with it.

If you want more power, consider the Oly FL500. Note that the Panasonic flashes are the same as the Oly ones, but more expensive (and without wireless capability).
  3. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  4. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Agree on Nissin Di466 (can't rotate though). Oly flashes seem far from being reasonably priced to me.
  5. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    After alot of research...I bought the Oly 36r & Metz 50 AH-1... Waiting on them as we speak in the mail...
    I will decide on which will work for me after the holidays and testing them out.

(I didn't go w/ the Nissin due to the rotation issue, though the price is enticing.)
  6. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    I bought the panasonic fl360 as it looks good having a consistent brand.
    The red focus assist lamp will work when you switch the camera mode to fully auto or intelligent mode.
    I doubt other brands of flash can do that on a G3.

If u want cheap, get a nissin di466 which can't swivel to the side. But u can still use the bounce card to brighten the subject off the fired flash when u turn your camera body for a portrait shot.

The worth every cent flash would be the oly fl36r.
  7. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    The Panasonic FL360 is cloned of the Oly FL36R. And the FL360 cost more. I owned a FL36R and Id high recommend it. :)
  8. alan1206

alan1206 New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2011
    which tiny flash is good for ep2 ?
  9. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
  10. Rube441

Rube441 New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2012
    Delray Beach, FL
    Ken R.
    Has anyone used the Yongnou YN-460 II. I know it is Manual rather than TTL.
  11. duratorque

duratorque New to Mu-43

Sep 25, 2012
    I bought a Metz 44 AF-1 to use with my E-PM1 and wrote a short review. It should work the same for Panasonic users, except wireless mode.
  12. Acliff

Acliff Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    I use the Nissin 466.
    The light triggered wireless mode seems to work ok as long as you have decent line of sight and its not too bright outdoors.

I'm after a compatible flash hotshoe extension cord so I can can hold it at a different angle
  13. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    I have 2 yongnuo 460 II. They work fine as manual flashes and quite the bargain at$40 each. I wonderif they would ever make a Panasonic ttl flash.
  14. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Olympus FL-36R is well balanced and fully featured companion for my G3. I think you will hardly find comparable substitute in terms of build quality and features. Metz 24 AF-1 digital would be high quality yet cheap and compact solution. Anything else is simply too big for such small system ;) Of course I am speaking about on-camera system flash, off-camera or studio setup is bit different situation where any old big manual flash with regulated output power would do great job.
  15. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012
    damned expensive for just a flash!

The Olympus FL-300R is the one for me I think, the others are just too damned expensive!