1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Recommend CPL/Polarizer filter for outdoors?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by budeny, Jul 11, 2016.

1. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I had somewhat disappointing experience with two B+W CPL filters in the past - both developed tightness in adjustment ring. One eventually locked up completely.

So, what is your experience and recommendation for outdoors use - i.e. dust, mist, cold and heat?

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... I hand lap all my polarizers using mineral oil and a very small amount of household cleanser or lapping compound ...... they now rotate as if on ball bearings ..... takes about 20 minutes .....

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    My 72mm Hoya Pro1D CPL works just fine, but I've only got grit in it once (fell into some mud under a waterfall). I've only used it for a few months, so I can't offer any better long term estimate for quality.

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    With the one B+W CPL filter I have, I too have noticed that it's difficult to turn/adjust.

All of my other CPL's (58mm, 67mm, 72mm) are Panasonic ones, and they're excellent. They're multicoated, VERY slim (much slimmer than the B+W one I have), and they turn very easily, making them easy to adjust. I don't believe that you can buy them through major retailers anymore as they've been discontinued, but you should be able to find them on eBay, and if you look/wait long enough you can score some really great deals (I didn't pay over $40 for any one of the filters, and they were all brand new when I received them).

Although I haven't tried their CPL fitlers, you may want to take a look at Haida. I have used their ND filters (both screw-in and slot-in), and have been very happy with them. Great multicoating on them, no color cast, and very slim filter frame. They can be found on eBay from sellers in the US for very reasonable prices (well less than $50, even for a 72mm which I was looking at prior to finding a Panasonic one).

5. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    The two I've kept are a Hoya FD (or maybe HD, can't remember) that's only about one stop but has a greenish tint, which I use mostly with zooms, and a Nikon that's about two stops but has neutral tint, which I use mostly with primes.

6. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Would you care to elaborate on that process ? :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Never had that issue with any CPL I've owned. Over the years as I've bought/changed lenses and needed new CPL sizes I've varied between buying Hoya Pro1 and B+W F-Pro depending on which I could get a better deal on. I've been perfectly happy with both.

8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    For temporary fix I've picked used Haida CPL for $15, will see how it performs.

9. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Please report back. I'm a big fan of their ND filters, and am interested in hearing how their CPL's perform.

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Marumi Super DHG filters are great. I've owned several CPLs and never had a problem. They're very slim, too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    How exactly do you do that? do you disassemble the CPL and polish the sliding surfaces? Can you elaborate, please?

12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... yes, I disassemble, apply the oil and compound ..... do about a dozen (sometimes more) 360 degree rotations, clean and check, then reassemble ........ care must be taken when putting the glass back into the ring, you want to make sure the outside facing glass remains facing outside. In other words do not put the glass in backwards otherwise you'll get a color cast. A piece of masking tape does the trick. Hope this helps.

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ..... forgot to mention, if you are very careful with the oil and compound, you do not have to remove the glass .....

14. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I use Marumi CPLs and find them sharp and easy to get on and off the lens. Light loss is minimal and colors are good.

• Like Like x 1
  15. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

No issues with B+W KSM CPL (thin, XSDP mount) in five years. The mineral oil as per @Sammyboy@Sammyboy sounds like a good preventive measure.

16. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    Highly recommend the Haida CPL
    17394448191_2db8ccb0cf_b.

17206996548_3060025b61_b.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Wow, great shots.

Haida filters are hands down the best bargain out there.

18. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    +1

Recently I looked at a B&W CPL MRC and in the end was able to buy an Hoya equivalent at half the price of the B&W, it pays to look around.

19. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    Have had great experience with B&W, Tiffen and Hoya...although I had a Hoya C-PL at one time that didn't allow a Nikon 70-200 VR I to focus properly...

20. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I guess "you get what you pay for" never gets old.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016