Recommend a waterproof bag for my E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jlouisalmeida, Dec 18, 2014.

1. jlouisalmeida

jlouisalmeida Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2014
    Hello all!

Going on a cruise soon and there will be several opportunities for some underwater photography (snorkeling, not scuba) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with a waterproof bag/case? The true waterproof cases are a out of my price range...

I will probably only be using the kit lens, as my others are manual focus or zoom, unless you think the 40-150 could fit?

Thanks!
    J

Gear: OMD E-M5, 14-42 kit, Oly 40-150, Rokinon 12mm, OM 50

2. Evan614

Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    BuckeyeState
    I had a dicapac. It worked ok. sometimes tough to control camera.
    bag's life span is limited to a couple years. If you get one I suggest selling after usage.
    I suggest you get a filter for color correcting.

3. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    J,

Back in the days when I had a Canon 35mm SLR, I used an Ewa Marine housing (a flexible bag with an optical glass port) to cover my camera and protect it when I took it out on small fishing boats for scientific fieldwork. It worked well enough to keep the camera dry, but I never took it diving. The company is still around. http://www.ewa-marine.com

A wide angle lens would probably work better than a normal lens. I'm not an underwater photographer, but I'm sure there are many on this site that could pitch in.

4. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Honestly, I'd get an inexpensive waterproof P&S instead, rather than risking my E-M5. In fact, that's exactly what I've done -- I have a trip planned for next summer when I'll be snorkeling, and I jumped on a refurb TG-850 when the Olympus outlet had a deal on it. I've flooded a camera while diving, and it isn't pretty.

How good a snorkeler are you? Are you going to be mostly floating on the surface looking down, or will you dive down to get a closer look at things? I ask because shooting straight down isn't going to give you great photos. It flattens the scene out. If you're going to be doing that, I don't think risking your expensive camera would be worth it. If you can dive down to get a good angle and hold yourself still while taking the photo (which is more difficult than it sounds), there might be more point to using your E-M5.

If you're snorkeling from a boat, or any location that requires a jump into the water, jump in first and have someone hand your camera to you. Do not jump in while holding your camera. (I also flooded a camera that way, in my early days.)

I agree that a wider angle is probably better for the sort of underwater photos you'll be taking.

5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    That's great advice. Less risk, and easier to handle one of those than an EM5 in a case or bag.

6. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    I am a strong swimmer and enjoy diving down and grabbing on to rocks or anything to hold me under so I can observe the wildlife, so that is why I wanted to be able to take my better camera down. Thank you for the tip though

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Watch out for Moray eels; they hide in rocks and have big teeth.

Barry

8. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Years ago I bought a Dicapac for my LX3 for a trip to Belize. Scuba'd on reefs up to 15m and it worked just fine.

9. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Grabbing rocks is fine, but be sure it's a rock, not coral. Grabbing coral is not fine! Just touching coral can kill the polyps, and most coral regrows very slowly. If you need to steady yourself, plant a hand on the sand, or find a dead spot (white, bare) on the coral and steady yourself with one finger. (Sorry for the rant, but my inner eco-diver winces at the idea of touching anything on a reef but the sand.)

10. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    Don't worry! I consider myself a very environmentally friendly person, the only thing I really ended up grabbing was a cinderblock that was on the bottom and had nothing growing on it.

I did end up with the Dicapac, it is a bit cumbersome but once you get the hang of it its great! I didn't dive with it but rather used it to shoot some underwater video for our standing dolphin encounter

11. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM Subscribing Member

:2thumbs: (joke)

Plastic-Slider-Zip-Lock-Bags.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.