1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Recommend a UWA Adapted Lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by newbert, Aug 13, 2012.

1. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I'm looking for an ultra-wide angle lens to use with my Olympus OM-D E-M5. I've tried out the native Panny 7-14, but it's a bit too pricey for me. The Samyang fisheye was also recommended to me, but I think that I'd prefer something rectilinear instead.

I want something wider than the Oly 12-50 kit lens that I already own, but don't see any other native lens choices at this time. That got me to thinking that perhaps there's an adapted lens out there that might do the trick? I have the Cowboy Studios Nikon-mu43 adapter, so a legacy Nikon would fit the bill. But I'm not eliminating other manufacturers (although I'd need a link to the right adapter to get for it). Prime or zoom -- doesn't matter to me.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a UWA adapted lens for use with a mu43 camera? And are there any drawbacks to this strategy?

Thanks!

2. tanMu4358

tanMu4358 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    I am looking for one to replace my Canon 16-35L II and read comments and research. I could not find any UWA better than Panny 7-14 f4 and finally I pulled the trigger on that.

Why don"t you get Oly 9-18? It is around $600 for an used one.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The options for UWA adapted lenses are extremely limited due to the 2x crop factor of the :43: sensor. To get something comparable to the P7-14 you'd have to have a 3.5-7mm 35mm film lens, and something like that is simply not available.

For UWA your only reasonable options are the ones you have already considered. The P7-14 is considered by most the "gold standard", but you'll have to part with a good deal of gold to get it. The O9-18 is the next best bet although you give up a bit on the wide-angle end and it's still not exactly cheap.

Like you, I wish that there were more affordable options, but on the wide end there's not much you can do.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    There are no affordable ultrawide options for MFT.

The P7-14 is a fantastically good piece of glass, better (corner to corner sharpness, rendering) than my Canon 17-40 AND wider to boot. And it's not as 'huge' as you might think based on how some people describe it. Balances very nicely on an E-M5.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The Oly 9-18mm for Four Thirds is listed at Amazon for $425, plus another 60 for an adapter if you don't have one. I think it's actually a CDAF optimized lens, so AF won't be too bad. Sure it'll be a bit slow at f/4-5.6, but that's the cheapest sane option I can think of.

6. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    There is always the Panasonic 14mm and wide-angle converter. You could probably get the pair for around $300 and have an 11mm equivalent. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 2
  7. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Not sure if you'd want to go this route, but you could go with the Samyang/Rokinon 7.5 and then defish to a rectilinear image. You'd be surprised how good it looks, especially if you crop out the extreme ends of the photo. Check out another thread on this forum:

https://www.mu-43.com/f56/de-fishing-fish-city-31030/

Doing this would actually give you a wider field of view. Hope this helps.

8. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    At $600 for used, I'd rather buy the Oly 9-18 new ($699) - however, I feel that I'm only gaining 3mm on the wide end over my kit lens (12-50), so I don't feel that I'm gaining much for my $600-$699.

That's why I recently rented the Panny 7-14 (The difference between 7mm an 12mm is substantial). I liked the lens overall, but it's quite pricey.

9. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    It looks like the Samyang/Rokinon 7.5 fish may be the only reasonable priced option at this point. Any rumors about other m43 UWA's on the horizon?

10. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    There is a rumor floating around about a 7-28 or something similar. Obviously that won't be cheap, it might make the 7-14 price drop a bit. We'll find out more in a month.

11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Cheap and UWA aren't really compatible currently unless you are willing to de-fish...as per my thread that was linked above, I'm happy with it but it's not as good as a dedicated UWA (then again, most adapted lenses aren't as good as native/modern lenses either).

I'm also happy with the 9-18mm as well..paid around 530USD at the time.

So there's definitely options, just a matter of what you're willing to pay to do it..not going to be cheap for a specialty lens though.

12. Van

Van Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2011
    I'm using a Tokina 11-16mm with a nikon f adapter right now with great success. It's a tad big and heavy, as you might expect from a nikon lens, but the image quality is great.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tanMu4358

tanMu4358 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    From 43% to 50% rumors said there will be a new 7-14 buit with OIS but I have never heard 7-28. :confused:

14. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    That latest rumors have indicated what I mentioned. I've heard the same about a 7-14. Like I said, probably best to wait a month!

15. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    why would you add OIS or any sort of IS to an UWA?...if they come up with a new 7-14 PLEASE put a filter thread to the thing!!!

16. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I'm not sure you realize quote how big of a difference there is between 12mm and 9mm...

We're talking about the difference between 66.62 degrees for the 12 and 90 degrees for the 9. That's huge.

You can get the older four third version for a couple hundred less than the μ43 version.

17. tanMu4358

tanMu4358 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    The new 7-14 with either OIS or something will be added to the lens will come out with a new price which I do not think it is same price as version 1. There will be at least $200-$400 added to the MSRP.

BTW, somebody went to CES this year he said the Panny lenses will be added buttons which prevent blurring images and I guess it is new way of OIS.

To answer your question why would OIS be added to 7-14 focal length (?). Canon 24-70L II has no IS since they say "no need" to that FL. However, Tamron came out 24-70 VC (Vibration Control) which makes every owner happy. FYI, Tamron 24-70 VC costs only $1,300 but Canon 24-70L II costs an extra $1K over Tamron but "no IS?"

18. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Let's hope! I can wait a month! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Personally I'm not holding my breath for a 7-28. It's too convenient of a number, makes me suspect a transcription error. Probably just a refreshed 7-14.

20. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    thats alright, im not going to fall into a IS or no IS discussion. but there is a reason why every time you shoot on a tripod, doesnt matter if its a portrait, landscape, night shots, or even handheld at "good light" to turn off the IS. right?. Now...If you are right about the 7-14 with IS, that means it will be faster than f4 and thats excellent news. maybe an f2,8?. if so, that could be the replacement for the Canon 16-35 f2,8L lens which i love!.