1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Recommend a "Pocketable" m43 Camera for Skiing?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by newbert, Dec 14, 2012.

1. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Im interested in buying a m43 camera that would fit into the pocket of a ski jacket, so I have a camera with me when I'm skiing. I already own the OM-D E-M5 but a) I think it's a bit too large, and b) I'm not willing to risk breaking it in a fall.

One feature I'm interested in is a "protected" LCD. In other words, an LCD that either comes with some sort of cover or one that reticulates and twists (like a Canon G11's) so that the glass is protected while in the jacket pocket. (Another reason why I won't use my OMD for this.) Is there a m43 camera that would fit this requirement?

Thanks!

2. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Only one I could think of that has an articulating screen would be the GH series cameras.

If you want a protected screen, I'd suggest some sort of case, or if you're paranoid, a piece of Plexiglas.

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    G3 does as well, not sure about the GF series.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    EPM2 with the Panny power zoom or a prime is very small. Same sensor as the E-M5. No articulated screen though. Just make sure the screen is facing toward the extra padding of your body. I used to carry an EPL-1 skiing. This season I'll probably pick up an E-PL5.

Gordon

5. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I think a small point and shoot like the Sony rx100 is the perfect camera for the skiing. Small and compact and great image quality. If you want something cheaper the Olympus xz1 is great and half the price of the Sony.

6. vchaney

vchaney Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2010
    Re protection, I usually carry my camera in a padded dry bag from sealine. They are low profile and protect from any snow that gets into your jacket as well as sweat if you get warm. It takes a second longer to get the camera out but is much quicker than getting it out of a pack.

7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I'd go with one of the smaller bodies (E-PLx, E-PMx) and the 14/2.5 pancake. For screen protection, the GGS glass LCD protectors are pretty high quality. But I agree that some sort of neoprene case around the camera, and inside an *internal* jacket pocket if possible, would provide good protection.

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I've wrestled with this problem--a small carry-it-everywhere camera--and have finally concluded that my next tiny camera is going to be the one on my smartphone. I carry the phone everywhere anyway, might as well take advantage of it.

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't think any M43 camera can really be considered pocketable regardless of lens. I would say get a RX100.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    +1 on this, assuming that a 28mm (35 equiv.) is a good FL for you.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    +2. I have an E-PM2 and Pana 14/2.5 in my pocket right now. Love love love this combination.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    and I thought you were just happy to see me.......

Gordon

13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    O=Putting a GGS glass LCD protector would accomplish the same thing. Then you could go with something small like the E-PM models. If you want an articulating LCD then the G3 would be the smallest m43 camera with one.

14. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Maybe with the 15mm body cap lens.

15. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I agree with this... my iPhone is the one camera I always have with me. However, when I want to carry a real camera I've been very happy with the S100 I've been using for the past year+. It's very pocketable, and I often slip it into and out of my front pocket. But it does not have a protected rear screen like my G12, and I understand that skiing (falling) can be hard on gear.

16. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

As an alternative to going "rugged," you could go "cheap," that is, keep the cost in the "don't care that much" range. For instance, an E-PL1 mated with the body cap lens could be considered "pocketable." Cameta has a body at $119. Depending where you ski, cost might equal that of a weekend of skiing.

17. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I too have wrestled with this issue. Currently, I carry an LX5 when skiing. I think if I went m43 and was concerned about smashing it I'd consider something like an E-PM1 or one of the small earlier generation Pannys with the 14-42X Panasonic lens or one of the pancake primes. Any of the other zooms makes them pretty bulky in a coat pocket. Light is usually pretty good so the older sensor really isn't much of an issue. I've also considered a small, belt type case. Even the LX5 is a little bulky for pockets. The RX100 is pretty attractive to me for stuff like skiing. Very pricey for the use I envision for it, however. Also, you're worried about the camera. You might want to worry about yourself carrying the camera. A ski instructor friend of ours says he's seen lots of folks with rib injuries from falling on cameras or other hard objects carried in coat pockets. I used to put the strap around my neck and then drop the camera into an inside goggle pocket. I now carry it in a thigh pocket.

18. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    More like a 1 day lift ticket at a lot of places. I exaggerate a bit but walk up 1 day tickets are in the $100 range at several places.

19. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    On the other hand, you could get a Pelican case for the camera and carry a backpack. You'd hardly notice the weight, plus you could probably carry a thermos too.