1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

recommend a high end compact

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by lefty, Oct 1, 2013.

1. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

a novice photographer friend asked me to recommend a DSLR as she wants to take nice pictures (groan). She is coming from a Panasonic TZ10 compact. Her main complaint with the TZ10 was that it was slow to get going and focus, especially of her kids at play.
    She will be mainly taking portraits of her young kids and I suspect she would not go much further than auto mode or be bothered with changing lens. So I said a high end compact would suit her better than a DSLR.
    This will also be a "bridging" camera for her to learn on before moving on to maybe a m4/3 with my influence...
    Without having to read through pages of reviews, can anyone recommend a compact that would suit her needs:
    1. fast to turn on, focus and shoot
    2. fast lens for low light
    3. easy to learn on
    4. image quality does not need to be exeptional, she is a facebook pic uploader and prints 4x6 sometimes
    5. all in 1 unit . no external flash, viewfinder etc
    6. does not need to be the latest greatest model
    7. no budget I think she's quite happy to pay the money for a good camera

thanks in advance

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Lots of good choices if she's happy with a zoom in the 25 to 100 (35 equiv) range. Olympus XZ-2 or Panasonic LX-7 come to mind. For the money, however, why not just get an E-PM2? The kit lens is slower, but you can push the ISO higher.

• Like Like x 1
  3. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I would have her buy a small DSLR or better yet steer her towards :43:
    If she gets bit by the bug she can take her photography to the next level, and at the cost of a high end P&S, she can probably get a used :43: kit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The LX-7 would be a great choice - lots of features and sophistication with a relatively user-friendly interface, which is not true of the XZ-2. But I like your E-PM2 idea even more. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Instead of a "bridging" camera just get her a micro 4/3rds camera?

For pocketable, the RX100II.

For a do it all bridge camera, the Panasonic FZ200.

• Like Like x 1
  6. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    I would probably look at the LX7 or the first RX100. The former can be had for $270 and the latter for under $400. Both take have good IQ, so after that it's about the little compromises you're willing to live with; like lens speed, sensor size, funny cap issues, and whatnot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    If it involves moving children, indoors, under challenging light conditions, and green mode, I think an entry level DSLR would work best. Everything else will require patience, skill, and practice to get the AF right.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I don't think there is much one can learn about photography on a compact. Sure a lot of them now have Pasm mode dials but with small sensor there is no point IMHO .
    That said, how about Panasonic Lx7? Quick , sharp fast lens, great auto mode. Just need to get the auto close lens cap aftermarket.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

well after a lengthy discussion, she has decided on a GF6 with twin lens kit.
    My work here is done :)

10. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I bought myself an XZ-1, really happy considering the price.

May not fulfill all these points, BUT...

1. fast to turn on, focus and shoot.
    Fast to focus and shoot at least.
    2. fast lens for low light.
    YES!! 28-112/1.8-2.5 w incredible quality
    3. easy to learn on
    Ehm, I think so
    4. image quality does not need to be exeptional, she is a facebook pic uploader and prints 4x6 sometimes
    Ok, but a "high end" use to have good quaility pics :)
    5. all in 1 unit . no external flash, viewfinder etc
    No EVF. But I don't miss it actually, otherwise the usual Oly EVF fits
    6. does not need to be the latest greatest model
    yes! this is sure not the latest and greatest, but still good
    7. no budget I think she's quite happy to pay the money for a good camera
    ok, but why waste money on a really expensive one if it's not necessary. Maybe some other camera but the previous model for good price. I myself was actually drooling on the RX100II but for that price I could get THREE of this one! I thought like this, then I can have it like a year and change it instead of keeping it too long

• Like Like x 1
  11. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
    fuji x10/20

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That will work.

13. kawhona

kawhona Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Phoenix
    Don Thompson
    Rx100 if fixed lens works for her otherwise x20

14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Aaah! the Panasonic LF1 is the one . 1/1.7" Raw. f/2.0 7.1x zoom, fast start, flash, EVF!! Wifi! Tiny!

15. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Canon S9x/10x, its the camera most of the world needs but they get hypnotized by MP and Zoom numbers.

16. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would actually suggest a small entry DSLR with a superzoom, or at least an 28-135mm equivalent if her ONLY concern is tracking her kids, and she has no intention of changing lenses.

Although the single CDAF performance on my EM-5 (and many other similar mirrorless cameras) is amazing, tracking kids while they're moving is going to be tough - continuous PDAF on a DSLR is going to win here, at least until after we get the likes of 70D and EM-1 technology improved and incorporated into cheaper bodies.

Edit:

Ah, missed the post about having already purchased. Great that she went with MFT anyhow - I bet we'll be seeing more PDAF C/AF bodies appearing in the system after the EM-1. :)

17. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I query how well the C-AF works in the entry level DSLRs. When I had a canon 600d it wasn't all that great. I did use a 3rd party lens though.

18. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

She bought the EPL6 because the Pana doesn't have an English menu (Shes in Japan).
    and she's buying me a PL25mm at a saving of $250 off what I can get here but she gets to use it first :)

[​IMG]