Recommend a good book about E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zensu, Oct 4, 2015.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm fortunate to have been able to save enough money this year to order a brand new Olympus E-M1 camera. :2thumbs:
    In the past I've found other books that helped clarify many issues that I felt the camera's manual didn't cover very well. In particular Thom Hogan's books on Nikon film cameras.
    I'm hopeful you guys can recommend a good book concerning the Olympus E-M1 camera?
    Thanks to all,
    Bobby :coffee-30:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

You might take a look at Dave Busch's book on the EM1. I don't have that one but I do have his on the EM5 and found it interesting if not super helpful.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    There are no books for Olympus like Thom's books for Nikon's, however I imagine Dave Busch's books should be pretty good.

Here are a couple of free online resources, John Foster’s and Andrzej Wrotniak’s web sites, both long time Olympus users with a lot of information.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I haven't read any books on the E-M1, but the setup guide and spreadsheet at biofos.com were very useful to me.

Barry

5. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I believe this particular book by Darrell Young has been received extremely well.

Not simply a summary of functions, dials and menus, but how the author utilises each within his work, and how it effects the final outcome etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have 2 books.

The first was David Busch's "Olympus OM-D E-M5 Guide to Digital Photography". Not only can I not recommend it, I actively recommend against purchasing it. It was obviously done in a hurry, basically a cut and paste of an earlier book, and it was not given a good check and proof read before being packed off to the publisher. Many of the photos of the Super Control Panel are of some other camera's Super Control Panel with a different layout and showing settings that the E-M1 did not have at the time the book was released, there were some mistakes, and I could not find answers to some of my questions. There's also a fair amount of space spent on basic digital photography theory which would have been much better spent on issues specifically related to using the E-Mi in my view. In the end it wasn't overly helpful but the quick and dirty way it was prepared and the obvious errors and photos of the wrong camera do not deserve to be rewarded with a purchase.

I also have Darrell Young's "Mastering the Olympus OM-D E-M1". It's probably close to twice the size of the Busch book, is totally focussed on how to use the E-M1, I couldn't find any errors in it and I did find all of the answers I was looking for, and it's well written and well indexed. I can't recommend it strongly enough but I do have to add a warning. What this book provides is an absolutely detailed and thorough walk through the E-M1 menus and controls. It covers every menu item as at the date of publication so it's up to date at firmware 3.0. It treats every menu separately plus the Super Control Panel and what you can do with button and dial assignments so some things get covered several times, once under the menu discussion, once in the Super Control Panel discussion, and again with button and dial assignments. It comes with recommendations for settings and reasons for them, as well as an explanation of what each setting does and how to use it. There is no general stuff on things like exposure or choosing lenses or anything like that, it's just what you can control on the E-M1 and how you can control it. It's everything I wanted, everything the manual isn't, and if it's what you're looking for in a book on the E-M1 I find it hard to think that it could be done better. If you don't want that level of content purely on the technical side of the E-M1 and you're looking for a more basic run through the controls plus a bit of basic digital photography device, then it is probably not the book for you. I can't recommend it strongly enough because it is precisely what I was looking for, but I can understand someone else picking it up and having their eyes glaze over. If you really want to know what you can do with an E-M1 and how to do it, then this book will tell you that, but it's also not going to tell you much else apart from the fact that Darrell Young knows how to write a damn good book.

A friend recently bought an E-M5 Mk2 and asked me about books. I checked and saw that Darrell Young had one out and suggested it to my friend who bought it and seems as impressed by it as I am by the E-M1 book.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thanks David A! This (Darrell Young's) is the book I hoped to find.
    Bobby

• Like Like x 1
  8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Glad my comments were of help.

9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I'll second this. I am sure I will learn something and $30 is not much to get more performance out of the E-M1.

10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    +1 for Darrell Young's book, "Mastering Your Olympus EM1." It's available both printed and as an e-book from Rockynook.com. I got both because I can load the ebook on my iPad Mini and have it with me all the time. I looked at David Busch's book, but it sounded like a rehash of the manual, which would be no help at all. Young not only explains what the controls are, but how to use them and when best to use them. That's a big help. He also has an EM5 II book out or coming out.

11. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    On any E-M1 book......check which firmware version was the basis for the book. There is a significant different between the capabilities of an E-M1 running firmware 1 vs what we should have by the end of November with firmware 4.

12. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Young's book covers up to v3.0. He will probably provide an updated addendum for v4.0 like he did for the earlier update. If you get the ebook version, the addendum may be included.

13. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    War and Peace by Tolstoy :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    I have both books and want to echo David A's comments above. The David Busch book is a waste of money, you really don't get much more than the manual, unlike some of his other camera books he published on Nikon which were very good.

Darrell Young's book is quite the opposite. It is packed full of useful info. But he repeats himself on too many of the camera and control functions, listing the info multiple times, but not always All the info multiple times, making the book longer that it should be. For example the Art Filters, they are listed and explained under the Mode Dial section on pages 108 to 111, under the Picture Control section on pages 141-142, and just 10 pages later under the Using Art Pictures Mode on pages 152-175. But only the last time does he tell you ALL the info about the Art Filters. He skips important info the first 2 times, which makes no sense, why not just list them once and give all info? And no where in these 3 sections does he tell you that if you shoot Raw that you can forget about these Art Mode settings in camera and achieve All of them in post processing via Olympus Viewer 3. Which is now how I use these filters. (He did mention this somewhere else in the book in passing though).

Unfortunately this multiple explanation approach happens with the AF functions, metering modes, white balance, IBIS, Pictures modes, etc. So this book at 528 pages can make you bleary eyed as mentioned.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  15. Jersey devil

Jersey devil Mu-43 Regular

Mar 5, 2015
    I agree whole heartedly. Having never used the EM-1 before or any m43 camera for that matter, I found this book to be extremely insightful. If you can, buy the kindle version so you could always keep a copy on your smart phone for reference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    I just purchased the Young book as a download to my Ipad. Can't wait to get into it and resolve all the mysteries I have with my EM1. Thanks guys for making me aware of this book.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I just did the same. Thanks to all!
    Bobby