Recommend a filter wrench

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Indianpeaksjoe, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    I need a filter wrench for my 12-40... The filter is not moving anywhere. I bought a fotodiox from Amazon that fits poorly and is not helping. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DODarwish

DODarwish Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2014
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  4. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Have you tried the flat of your hand on top of the filter,try to have the pressure on the outer ring.
  5. No wrench, only a large rubber band, something used by nurses during blood drawing.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
  7. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    Use a large, wide, rubber band. About a 1/4" wide, 3" long or so. It'll give you a good grip on the sucker.
  8. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    Stop at a supermarket and get a rubber jar opener (something like this: They work like a dream.

I once bought a used lens that had a cracked & bent filter screwed onto the front. The seller gave me an amazingly low price because he couldn't figure out how to get the filter off without damaging the lens. Using a jar opener, I had it off in a couple of seconds. (They're surprisingly effective on pickle & jelly jars, too!)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I second c5karl's advice. I keep a pair of the thin "waffle" weave in my bag, one to grasp the lens with while pressing the other between the palm of the hand and the filter. Most of the time a really "stuck" filter loosens with surprisingly little twisting pressure.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Rubber band or better jar opener may work. You can also put the camera into a fridge, the filter should contract a little bit, it may become looser for a short while when you take it out. It's been done before. I say camera (with lens mounted) if it's weather-sealed; I'm not sure if it's safe to put the lens in there with just the rear lens cap protecting the back.