Recommend a filter wrench

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Indianpeaksjoe, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I need a filter wrench for my 12-40... The filter is not moving anywhere. I bought a fotodiox from Amazon that fits poorly and is not helping. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Joe

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DODarwish

DODarwish Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2014
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  4. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Have you tried the flat of your hand on top of the filter,try to have the pressure on the outer ring.

5. No wrench, only a large rubber band, something used by nurses during blood drawing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
  7. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    Use a large, wide, rubber band. About a 1/4" wide, 3" long or so. It'll give you a good grip on the sucker.

8. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    Stop at a supermarket and get a rubber jar opener (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...9_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NZKE80Q3FMXP1CHFS0AF). They work like a dream.

I once bought a used lens that had a cracked & bent filter screwed onto the front. The seller gave me an amazingly low price because he couldn't figure out how to get the filter off without damaging the lens. Using a jar opener, I had it off in a couple of seconds. (They're surprisingly effective on pickle & jelly jars, too!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I second c5karl's advice. I keep a pair of the thin "waffle" weave in my bag, one to grasp the lens with while pressing the other between the palm of the hand and the filter. Most of the time a really "stuck" filter loosens with surprisingly little twisting pressure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Rubber band or better jar opener may work. You can also put the camera into a fridge, the filter should contract a little bit, it may become looser for a short while when you take it out. It's been done before. I say camera (with lens mounted) if it's weather-sealed; I'm not sure if it's safe to put the lens in there with just the rear lens cap protecting the back.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. Indianpeaksjoe

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Just to close the loop on the saga of the stuck filter...

I tried a rubber band and the filter, no luck.
    I tried a rubber jar opener pad thing, no luck.
    I tried the jar opener wrench (Good Grips), no luck. But it did but it did dig in to the filter.
    I tried the refrigerator trick...

Last resort was to cut two notches in the filter with a Dremel. To avoid dust issues I used an air compressor to blow the dust away while I was cutting.

Then I used the jar opener wrench and it came off .
    IMG_3361.JPG

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Looks like yours was really jammed. I remember back in the film days some friends using the nikinos used vasiline on the threads whend caving. As fine grit used to make filters jam.

Glad you were able to remove yours.

13. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Wow! I'm guessing to have a B&W filter locked on that tight, it must have been cross threaded. Or maybe I've been lucky with B&Ws as I've never had to use a wrench on one of them. Glad you got it off.

14. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Indianpeaksjoe

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I think it was deformed from a knock on the filter. Better the filter than the lens!

-Joe