1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Recommend a cheap reflex/catadioptric lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Mark0, May 9, 2012.

1. Mark0

Mark0 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Near Venice, Italy
    I have the kit lens, plus Panasonic 14mm/2.5 pancake (to turn the PL1 in a very compact shooter).

Now I was thinking at something to have some long reach, let's say about 500/600mm equivalent, or more, but keeping it cheap & small. I would like to try & experiment a bit with a catadioptric lens. I see lots of them on eBay, but I don't have much an idea about how to orient among them.

Is there some model to recommend, that could be considered a "cheap best buy" of sort?

Thanks!

2. The only catadioptric lens I would consider would be the old Tamron SP's adaptalls. There was a 500mm and 350mm.

IIRC, I don't think they are "cheap" even on ebay... and still a slow mirror lens.

There are smallish 200-300mm lenses in M42 mount that will most likely be cheaper.

3. Mark0

Mark0 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Near Venice, Italy
    Thanks for the info!

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I think you'll find that most of the cats are 500mm, so 1000mm equivalent. There was a Minolta 250mm but like the Tamron 350mm those are quite expensive now.

I had the same thought as you and rolled the dice on a $50 Craigslist Samyang 500mm. After adding $20 or $30 for an adapter I discovered that despite good reviews, my LNIB example was terribly soft. I did learn, however, that 1000mm equivalent focal length requires a very heavy and stiff tripod. Heavier and stiffer than I will ever own. Lens and adapter now collecting dust and I have no interest in finding a better 500mm.

So, if you can possibly try before you buy, it might save you owning a dust collector too.

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I could only recommend those by Minolta, Nikon F, of Olympus OM.

6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have a Russian MTO 500mm that works well enough. In good light and ISO 400, you can shoot hand-held at over 1/1000 shutter speeds. It won't work well if you don't have an EVF on your camera, I used mine on a Digital Rebel, but I do have much nicer glass now. Unless you're into shooting insects or birds, there's actually not that much you can shoot with 1000mm equiv focal length.

7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    If you want 500mm equiv, there are two that come to mind. One is the Minolta 250mm. There was already a thread about it. It's very nice lens. You might be able to afford one if you forego getting a E-M5.

https://www.mu-43.com/f54/e-p2-250-5-6-rokkor-mirror-lens-9586/

A cheaper option is the Lentar 250mm. I actually have one of these. Here's the picts that someone posted.

Lentar 250mm f/5.6 Mirror lens with k mount adapter - PentaxForums.com

Overall, I think you'd be better off getting a Pentax Takumar 200mm lens. The 250mm mirror lenses aren't really that small. The Takumar will be far easier to use and have much better IQ.

8. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I have a small Quantaray 300mm that I get some great images from. With any cat lens, expect higher percentage of flubbed shots, and don't be afraid to up the contrast and add a bit of sharpness in post.

9. Mark0

Mark0 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Near Venice, Italy
    Many thanks to all for the great info!

10. Texsport

Texsport New to Mu-43

May 22, 2012
    Has anyone used a Zoomar catadiotropic?

Texsport

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.