Recently purchased Panasonic Leica 25 1.4. Have a question about filters

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by colbycheese, Jun 22, 2013.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I purchased this lens recently by itself. I am extremely satisfied with the image quality but i have a question about filters. I always buy a clear filter for lens protection. The man who sold me the lens said i have to buy a 70-80 dollar filter because the cheap ones ruin the good quality of the lens. I did not buy one because i think 80 dollars is a crazy price for a clear filter. Do i really have to buy such a expensive filter or will a 30-40 dollar one do? Does it really affect photo quality? Is it something i should get or no?
  2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    uh-oh, you just re-opened the filter/hood/no-filter/no-hood can of worms :wink:

I'll say this: if a clear filter is what you want for the lens, then I would say yes to using a $30-60 multi coated filter. If you use, say a cheap $5-10 glass filter (UV or not) you're going to get a lot of bounce back reflection from the front element to the back of the filter. You can still get that with expensive filters, but the difference is substantial. Not to mention problems you might get with less contrast etc from the extra piece of cheap glass. Lenses today have a lot of exotic and specially coated elements in them compared to most old manual focus lenses of the past. I recomend B+W, Hoya and Rodenstock. $80 is a bit high, but it's all relative.

Personally for myself, I sometimes use filters, sometimes use hoods, sometimes neither, some times both. It all depends on the situation. I have a lot of fast primes, and in a low light situation or a low snu on the horizon, even a good filter can be a hindrance.
  3. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    thanks for the reply. I guess everyone has there own prefrence. I honestly don't think i need it but i may get it.
  4. phidauex

phidauex Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Boulder, CO
    People have all sorts of thoughts on this, but I recommend not using such a filter unless you are going into a place that is specifically really grimy or splashy. I usually throw the hood on (since it actually comes with a nice one) if I'm worried about "bump" damage (the most common kind).

The reason the salesman wants to sell you the filter is because he wants another sale. If lenses all "needed" such protection they would come that way (at least, the pro level ones would). But they don't, so they don't.

Let the opinion parade continue! ;)
  5. phidauex

phidauex Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Boulder, CO
    Here is an actual piece of advice - take that money and get a nice 3-stop ND filter, it will let you shoot wide open even in bright sunlight, which really lets you work the wonderful wide-open performance of this lens. That is a filter that will actually do some work for you!
  6. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I bought a multi coated clear filter and stopped using it when I noticed lots of reflections in it in high contrast or night scenes. I'm pretty careful and always use the hood and it has a good size hood to protect. Also after seeing the recent threads with links to shots taken with broken front elements that still looked good, I'm not too worried about it.
  7. kawhona

kawhona Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Don Thompson
    I think an investment in a circular polarizer . Will also help you shoot wide open on a sunny day but you get the advantage of a cp vs haze or uv. I personally get good cps either Kaseman or Singhray.
  8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Skip the UV filter, use the hood, it's free.
  9. ariel777

ariel777 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I avoid using a UV filter as anything (clear glass or otherwise) can (and usually does) diminish IQ. If however, I am trekking a bit and run the risk of falling or dropping the camera (tho my Black Rapid strap setup should/may provide adequate protection) I may just attach one. From the many articles I have read (and workshops I have taken) "most" of the so-called mavens do not recommend it for the above reason. Also, as noted above, the hood should be sufficient.....but with Olympus???...where's the hoodie? (But, I will of course use a CP when the circumstances too with an nd or grad)
  10. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    If you want to use a filter then B+W makes perfectly good filters in the price range you mentioned for that filter thread size. I live in the desert Southwestern U.S., where wind can come up fast and nick lens coatings. (Most of the windshields around here are seriously pitted after 3 or 4 years), so I keep a filter on most of my lenses, though I not infrequently take it off to shoot if the situation permits and I don't need it. Frankly on a 25mm, I don't see much difference in most situations between the Uv filter and non-filter version. On my 300mm the filter seems to increase chromatic aberrations.

BUT to answer your question. No, you don't have to spend a fortune, especially for a 46mm size uv filter. Just make sure your are getting a filter made with good optical glass by a reputable company, but that's standard procedure for most photo purchases unless you know that brand no name has for sure a sterling product. I like B+W, some people swear by Hoya. It's not worth an argument.