Recent Wedding I shot (E-P5/EM-5/GX1)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by danska, Aug 7, 2013.

1. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Hey everyone,

I haven't been on the forums much in recent months due to a career change and lots of stuff going on.

I've been meaning to finish a review I've written up on a month of shooting with the E-P5 as I had my name on the first two to make it into the state of Oregon. I was a bit undecided on whether to go with a second E-M5 or try something else. Ideally if I were shooting a lot of events/weddings I would sport to of those, but I don't really have the time or need to do that right now.

While it was an expensive body, I thought the package was a good deal, and really enjoy using the 17mm f/1.8. Finding it to be a very nice focal length in general. While I prefer the "look" of the PL25 images, the wider field of view is much better for a lot of tighter situations.

I had basically a day to mess around with the new body before heading up to rehearsal, so very little time with the camera. My main issue then was hitting the control dial thinking it was my exposure dial (from using the EM-5). Other than that I set-up focus lock etc. just like my EM-5. My fiancee was my assistant/back-up for the wedding, I armed her with the GX1/PL25 and stole it occasionally to take something.

Maybe I'm super self-righteous but this was my favorite shot she took:

Wedding Photography Lessons by J.Bower, on Flickr

And onto the set:

The Shoes...
    by J.Bower, on Flickr

Rings by J.Bower, on Flickr

Soft Mirror by J.Bower, on Flickr

We commence to make you (Jump Jump) by J.Bower, on Flickr

Uh-Oh by J.Bower, on Flickr

The Bride by J.Bower, on Flickr

A moment by J.Bower, on Flickr

First Dance by J.Bower, on Flickr

Couple of reception shots, the groom's brother was a great subject.

To the left, to the what? by J.Bower, on Flickr

I like the way you move by J.Bower, on Flickr

I have a bunch more that I'll be uploading to flickr in the next couple days, and a ton more on my facebook site (where IQ is terrible). This was the first wedding where I was the primary and really only shooter. I learned a ton about staging, keeping a schedule, communicating, and being adaptive. between the three bodies I came home with over 5k frames and spent a ton of time both up there and editing. I'm glad that I did it, but it is certainly something you gotta get right in the moment. I'll probably do more weddings in the future but will be very choosy with my clients. These two were great to work with and the overall stress/drama was pretty low.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Beautiful set. My faves are "The bride" and "First Dance". IMVHO, the OOF areas in "soft mirror" are a little too harsh.
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Really Nice. I like the last one best.
  4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Thanks a lot. Yeah I agree with you on that shot. Wasn't thrilled with many of her "getting ready" shots as they were very poorly lit (that one I was relying on basically a very low light window and an annoying fluorescent fixture. It was super contrasty OOC, so I toyed with it a bit. In the end I had so much to do, it wouldn't even rate in my top 100 favs of the wedding, but had it up..

The bride/bridesmaids getting ready shots were also hard because their little cabin was a mess, so the glamor was totally absent. That was probably my biggest frustration of the entire event.
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Nice set. Well done.

6. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Great set. Really nice.
  7. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Very Beautiful set!! :smile:

Haha It is indeed natural to move the control dial instead of the back dial if you came from using the E-M5.
  8. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

Nicely done! It took a while, but I'm seeing a lot more wedding photography done with mirror less. Yours is a great example...
  9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Very nice set.
  10. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Great shots.... love seeing these kinds of sets, which really show what can be done with the equipment. You have a new Flickr follower...
  11. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
  12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Nice set Joe, you got some creative & fun shots :thumbup:

My favorite is probably that first shot, still love the expression on both of your faces :biggrin:

I noticed The Bride and Soft Mirror both look like they have noticeable grain in the OOF areas even at ISO 200, did you add that in post Joe? Obviously this is personal taste, but I find the grain distracting in those two because there's a lot of OOF area and it makes it look harsher. I like both shots otherwise though.
  13. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    This is why I shoot with identical cameras 2 x em5. I get too frustrated otherwise and would also miss shots.

Agree about the mirror shot. Maybe could paint the soften area with gaussian blur to help smooth it.