Recent discussions on the right side of forum index

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
What do you think, is it a good addition or does it make things too crammed together? If you like it, would you rather see only threads you've posted in shown there or all recent discussions?

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I like it and I like seeing all new threads, not just the ones I have posted in because I'm sure I'd miss out on some interesting stuff.

Is there an option to view new threads from the top menu bar, as well? I have been using "new posts" to try to stay up on things, but "new threads" with the option to mark them as read might be handy, too.

P.S. It may be because I am not used to the site yet, but I find going to "Home" to be a confusing view because it doesn't give me an overview of the board, but instead shows recent posts individually, as well as having the right side forum index. Maybe there's a way to make the "Home" page simpler visually and still give people the "big picture" overview of the site, while keeping the sidebar to catch their interest in the recently active threads?

I also notice that you said the side bar is collapsable - which is great so those of us who like it can keep it visible, while others can do away with it.:wink:

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I like it and I like seeing all new threads, not just the ones I have posted in because I'm sure I'd miss out on some interesting stuff.

Is there an option to view new threads from the top menu bar, as well? I have been using "new posts" to try to stay up on things, but "new threads" with the option to mark them as read might be handy, too.

I think that new posts and new threads would give the same information, no? I'll look into having the option to mark them as read. I'm pretty sure I can enable that...

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I think that new posts and new threads would give the same information, no? I'll look into having the option to mark them as read. I'm pretty sure I can enable that...

I guess you're right. I just went back to the site I used to be a moderator on and took a quick look. There are so many little tweaks you can do and it takes time and testing to figure out what works best, I know. (Picture a nodding head emoticon here.:smile: )

Amin

Mu-43 Legend

I like that as well. After decreasing the font size, I just modified the module to show the 50 most recent discussions instead of the 20 most recent. That, coupled with the little icons which show which ones I've participated in, is working pretty well for me.

voyager

50 really ruins the layout of the page since it goes too far down. 25 might be a good compromise.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Amin, this may be a step too far - but could you add the right panel to forum thread views too?

So, in other words, have the panel visible here... it's one less click to go back up to the main forum view to see what's new - just look to the panel on the right...

Make sense?

Cheers

Brian

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
It does look off balance with 50, but I like the functionality of it. Let's give it a little time and see what everyone thinks. We can sack that whole column if most people don't like it. Remember that if you find it an eyesore, you can always click on
collapse_tcat.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
and collapse the whole module.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Can you make it collapse to the right? to give more room for the photos?

I'm using a wide screen, so it really works well for me... it's great that we can collapse it for the more narrow screens.

Cheers

Brian

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Can you make it collapse to the right? to give more room for the photos?

I'm using a wide screen, so it really works well for me... it's great that we can collapse it for the more narrow screens.

Cheers

Brian

So far I haven't found a way to do that. However, on more narrow screens, it will default to showing you the left part where the posts/photos are to the exclusion of the module on the right, so I think it works. Haven't tried it on my iPhone yet - maybe Shooter can address that :smile:.

If the layout isn't working for anyone, please be sure to say so!

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Well, I suspect that having the panel to the right will increase your page views dramatically Amin - it's quite addictive tracking multiple threads!

Well Done, I think it's working extremely well (if you can get it to collapse to the right, that will be icing on the cake ;))

Cheers

Brian

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Well, I'm using it on the tiny iPhone display and it doesn't look cramped.

Which browser are you using Bullfrog?

If on Firefox, remember the fonts are scaleable... Press Ctrl-0 to reset to 100%

Cheers

Brian

Latest threads

Top Bottom