1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Received the Panasonic 45-150 today!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Pim, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

After a tip from one of the forum members (thanks Ad) about the availability of the new Panasonic 45-150 in a Dutch webshop I decided to take the gamble (recently got a G5 and wanted a telezoom with OIS to replace my Oly 40-150) and ordered it on Tuesday. I was expecting an email saying the stock info was wrong and it was not available yet (as I have not seen it in any other shop), but to my surprise the lens was just delivered...:)

I am at work at the moment and don't have a camera with me, but first impressions of the lens is that it is very nicely built indeed, especially considering the modest price tag. And above all: it is tiny..! including front and rear cap the lens measures just 8 cm (3.15" for my American friends) in length, and to my surprise even fully extended it is still only 12 cm (4.7"), distinctly smaller than the Oly lens. I wonder how they managed to do that actually...

Of course I need to give it a test run to determine the optical quality, however I do not expect it to deviate much from the Oly, and since I am not a very frequent tele shooter (if I was I would have waited for the 35-100 probably), I am expecting it to perform just fine (for me at least) for those occasional moments I want to get a little closer.

I will try and post some pictures some time next week (busy weekend coming up, no time for shooting unfortunately...)

• Like Like x 2
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Congrats, enjoy your new lens!

3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Im glad panny did away with Power IOS for this lens...but i wish they would have made it internal zoom like the 45-175...cant complain at this price though

Where do Asph elements fit into a slow lens? I'd understand if ED glass was used, but i dont see coma being a problem at f4

4. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

I guess internal zoom would require a bigger lens.. I am quite happy they managed to keep it that small though, as for me it really is not a lens that I will use that often, but is definitely nice to have in the bag, and then it it a plus that it is nice and small

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Couldn't be too much bigger. The 45-175mm gives an additional 25mm of reach, and is just 0.6 inches longer (and actually 0.04 inches narrower.) Yes, that's 20%, but you also get 24% more reach. An internal focus 45-150mm would be even shorter. My guess is that it comes down to cost and/or complexity (of design and production.)

6. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Pim: how much did you pay for it?