1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Received the Panasonic 45-150 today!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Pim, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

After a tip from one of the forum members (thanks Ad) about the availability of the new Panasonic 45-150 in a Dutch webshop I decided to take the gamble (recently got a G5 and wanted a telezoom with OIS to replace my Oly 40-150) and ordered it on Tuesday. I was expecting an email saying the stock info was wrong and it was not available yet (as I have not seen it in any other shop), but to my surprise the lens was just delivered...:) 

I am at work at the moment and don't have a camera with me, but first impressions of the lens is that it is very nicely built indeed, especially considering the modest price tag. And above all: it is tiny..! including front and rear cap the lens measures just 8 cm (3.15" for my American friends) in length, and to my surprise even fully extended it is still only 12 cm (4.7"), distinctly smaller than the Oly lens. I wonder how they managed to do that actually...

Of course I need to give it a test run to determine the optical quality, however I do not expect it to deviate much from the Oly, and since I am not a very frequent tele shooter (if I was I would have waited for the 35-100 probably), I am expecting it to perform just fine (for me at least) for those occasional moments I want to get a little closer.

I will try and post some pictures some time next week (busy weekend coming up, no time for shooting unfortunately...)

• Like Like x 2
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Congrats, enjoy your new lens!

3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Im glad panny did away with Power IOS for this lens...but i wish they would have made it internal zoom like the 45-175...cant complain at this price though

Where do Asph elements fit into a slow lens? I'd understand if ED glass was used, but i dont see coma being a problem at f4

4. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

I guess internal zoom would require a bigger lens.. I am quite happy they managed to keep it that small though, as for me it really is not a lens that I will use that often, but is definitely nice to have in the bag, and then it it a plus that it is nice and small

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Couldn't be too much bigger. The 45-175mm gives an additional 25mm of reach, and is just 0.6 inches longer (and actually 0.04 inches narrower.) Yes, that's 20%, but you also get 24% more reach. An internal focus 45-150mm would be even shorter. My guess is that it comes down to cost and/or complexity (of design and production.)

6. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Pim: how much did you pay for it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.