Received Refurb E-M1 today

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by staros, Feb 20, 2014.

1. staros

staros New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2010
    Hi all:

I took advantage of the refurb sale over the weekend; serves me right for checking email early on Monday :)

Just wanted to give you some first impressions and where I come from.

I have an E-M5 with HLD-6 grip. That setup was nicely balanced.

The EM-1 feels a bit more top heavy. I think I have gotten used to the grip and the extra weight it provides on the bottom.

Looking it over, I cannot find a blemish. Screen was perfect. Put a screen protector on it.

It has a little over 1400 actuations and was manufactured in Sep 2013. The firmware is still at 1.0 even tough 1.1 has been out since end Nov 2013.

I would have thought they would update them as part of the refurb.

One thing that does strike me is the SD card door. The E-M5 door feels a bit more solid probably because of the slight curve and the fact that it does not go all the way back.

The flash accessory shoe cover is not a one piece slider but an "L' shape.

I have assigned the back focus button to Fn2; that feels a bit more natural to me than Fn1. I will see how that goes as this the first time I am experimenting with it.

I will probably keep this and, hopefully, be able to sell the E-M5

Please let feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

2. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Steve – Did the camera come with the original packaging and all typically included accessories? And did you opt for any extended warranty, or are you sticking with the 90-day refurb warranty?
  3. staros

staros New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2010
    It came in a refurb box. It had OEM battery, OEM charger with power cord, USB cable, CD, printed manual, warranty information, flash, flash pouch, and Olympus strap. I was not offered extended warranty.

So everything I would expect. Except the neat little OEM box with all its levels :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pointbob

pointbob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Way to go - hope you got a good deal. Be curious about your opinion on the benefits of the em1 vs em5. Thanks
  5. staros

staros New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2010
    I will use it this weekend at a kids birthday.
    I will see how I feel.

Personally, I like all of the buttons and levels and dials.

I am sure in the next incarnation some of them will be back-lit. Just like my E-620.