received my gx1 to replace my gf1, very happy!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by brainhulk, Jul 16, 2012.

1. brainhulk

brainhulk Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 11, 2010
    I saw the $395 deal @ amazon and couldn't pass it up. I took this 3200 ISO test shot just to confirm what the reviews have been saying. Before, I couldn't even touch ISO 800 on my gf1. Very impressed

I was very close to ditching micro 4/3 and my gf1 and just grabbing a d7000, I don't feel I have to anymore.

shot I took at a baby shower over the weekend

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Grats on the new camera! That was a crazy, great deal.
  3. michaeln

michaeln Guest

Heh... I ditched a D7000 and bought the GX1 and am WAY happier with it than I was with the D7000, which almost never took a shot that was properly focused.
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Glad you're happy with it! I picked one up as well and I'm really enjoying it. It's like an upgraded copy of my GF2 with the same great sensor capability as my G3.

The ISO 3200 shot looks really good there, very nice. I've had mixed experiences with ISO 3200 on the G3 and GX1, it seems to do better with high ISO when there are fewer dark areas (as in your example shot with the car). When taking shots in a dark area indoors or at night with a lot of black tones, I find the noise is much more noticeable. ISO 1600 I have no qualms about using regularly however.

Here's another shot at ISO 3200 from my G3, which has the same sensor as the GX1 (accidentally left it on ISO 3200 from the night before when I went out shooting the next day :redface: ) - I was pleasantly surprised this turned out OK after I made such a dumb mistake.

<a href="" title="P1110875.jpg by jloden, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="766" alt="P1110875.jpg"></a>
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Congrats on a good deal - I followed a similar route and traded in GF1 for GX1 and have no regrets, to my mind and for my use it is a better camera and still retains the nice tactile dials and feel of GF1 in a better made body.

Well worth the upgrade and has much better high ISO performance.
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    This is actually quite normal. Noise is generally a combination of shot noise and amplification noise. Modern sensors are fairly good at dealing with amplification noise, so just raising the ISO (increasing the amplification) doesn't have much negative impact. Shot noise however results from insufficient exposure (sensor can't accurately detect amount of incoming light), which is precisely what you see in the darker regions.

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Yeah, this is precisely why when I look at something like the DPReview noise tests, I always look at the black color swatches first.

Interestingly, in one of the other threads there's some posts showing high ISO shots with the OM-D and I see the opposite effect; the darker areas look ok but light areas look much more noisy. I imagine there's other elements that must affect the noise characteristics as well.