1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Received my E-M10 today. Some quick questions...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dissembled, Apr 30, 2015.

1. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I'm sorry in advance for the newbish question. I've just received my E-M10 today and am still learning its menu system...

I've noticed the IS is enabled whenever I use the touch screen to select my AF point. I already have the touch shutter disabled so I'm wondering why the IBIS engages just by selecting the focus point via touch screen. I know that the IBIS engages because I hear it. The sound emitted can be described as a static sound. How do I disable this so the IS is engaged only when half pressing the shutter?

Thanks in advance.

2. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I've noticed that this isn't an issue if I disable the setting in which IBIS engages while half-pressing the shutter. Another question if I may...The final image is still stabilized even though this setting is disabled, right?

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    You might want to consider buying Supercharging the Olympus OM-D E-M10. It just happens to be a cheap, great manual on setting up your camera and is available only as a Kindle download. I have it and it helped me set up my E-M10 really quickly.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dragos101

Dragos101 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Bucharest, Romania
    Dragos
    Selecting the focus point on the touch screen is exactly the same as half pressing the shutter button as far as the camera is concerned. You don't just select the point, it also focuses, so it also engages IBIS. I don't think there's any way to decouple the point selection from the autofocusing.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Focusing, whether from the shutter button or touch screen, will activate IBIS unless - as you have found - you turn off IBIS on half shutter press. Maybe the setting is mis-named, but that's how it works. Why do you want IBIS off in this situation anyhow?

Personally, I never use touch focus, so it wouldn't be an issue for me.

7. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Until you are more familiar with how it works, it is better to leave settings like this alone. It is helpful and sensible to have IBIS activate on a half press, that is why Olympus set it like that by default. You get a more stable image in the viewfinder/on the screen so you can see what you are doing. With longer lenses this is important.

8. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Thanks, guys. Though still curious, disabling that feature will still result to a stabilized image in the end, right?

9. Dragos101

Dragos101 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Bucharest, Romania
    Dragos
    You can test this yourself, I did and it seems that the image is still stabilized. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve though, I can't think of any benefit of not having the live view image stabilized when aquiring focus and composing.

10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Yes, it will, so long as the IBIS is still active, which you can verify in the super control panel. I like having the half press IBIS active for longer lenses(when using the 75-300 for example) because the magnification can cause the view to jump about and make framing/AF acquisition more difficult.

11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It will (assuming IS is on for exposure), but a stabilised view when focussing is better than a shaky view while doing it, especially when using longer lenses.

12. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I only have the O25/1.8 at the moment so I don't need it enabled as much as others. I will enable it during low light situations and other times when I'm using longer exposures, however. I like it disabled because I find the noise bothersome. (Yes, to me at least!) Every time I change the focus point, I hear it. And I change the focus point numerous times during a session. I'm also worried that my frequent focus changing will decrease battery life considerably if that feature is left enabled.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  13. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Another question...

With my E-M10, the selected focus point gets priority over the face detection box. How do I allow it so the face detection box gets priority? Can I simply touch the button on the touch screen that turns off the AF point?

Also, what do the different Face Detection box colors symbolize? Sometimes, the box is white and other times, green. I see the white box mainly.

Thanks again.

14. Dragos101

Dragos101 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Bucharest, Romania
    Dragos
    The face detection has priority, I never experienced anything else. Only if the camera doesn't detect a face it focuses on the selected AF area (assuming of course that you have face detection enabled). The white box is a detected face, with a smaller green box if it also detects an eye. All these apply to the AF-S mode, other modes might behave differently.

15. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Thanks for the reply. I wonder why mine behaves differently. Though maybe you're right and I'm just imagining it...

16. Dragos101

Dragos101 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Bucharest, Romania
    Dragos
    I generally disable the face/eye detection unless I'm specifically shooting portraits or I'm in a very casual walk in the park with my family situation. The camera sometimes wrongly detects a "face" and I have to take an extra step to force it to move priority to a specific AF box so I prefer to not bother with that. On the other hand, when shooting portraits the face detection works exceptionally well, I get home and have 90% of perfect "closer eye" focus shots.

17. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Yeah, the 'false positves' are an occasional problem for me as well. I was photographing my dog and the the Face Detection box appeared around his tail. Wow.

18. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    While using my E-M10 outdoors today, its LCD screen would black out momentarily while I was choosing the AF point on the touch screen. It happened only one time but should I still be worried?

19. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No, you shouldn't be worried because you probably got your hand a little close to the EVF eye sensor without realising it & it changed over to the EVF for that brief moment.

20. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I turned off that sensor. :(